Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Mine looked like that on the left side of the sunsport, but when you dig out the foam you will always find water or you wouldn't have any rot. The foam is your enemy until it is gone. Until you have air and drainage your wood stringers will be under the rot attack.
    Last edited by oldman; 11-29-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jet View Post
    Is there really aftermarket bracing?? Jet
    Heh. I think anything done after the factory is done is "aftermarket."

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Yeah, looks like things are pretty dry. It does look like some plywood has been "sistered" on to the inner area of those main stringers by the pylon. Have you drilled any pilot holes in any of the stringers to check the wood condition? What does it sound like if you know on it? Hollow or solid?
    Yeah, I've drilled pilot holes in the stringers and also dug out portions of the foam. I have not found a drop of water. Most of the pilot holes brought out dry wood. A couple of them were dark, but still didn't have water. I've injected CPES in all the holes and filled them back in. The only back spots I heard when knocking was right around the area where the floor supports were cut in. I've cleaned those areas out as well, coated with CPES, and glassed the new supports in. I'm pretty confident that what I have is solid.

1986 Saltare

What's the deal with that sticker on the back of your boat? My '89 Saltare has the same exact sticker. Supposedly the floors and stringer were gone through a few years ago. I see some excess resin here and there and stringers and floor are solid, from what I can tell. I'm thinking the company that put that sticker on did some repairs at some point. Just curious since I see the same sticker on your boat in the same spot as mine.

Marketing hype - I think every Supra of the era had em (including my 89 Salt). Supra truely was a pioneer of the times, but I guess they thought they needed the Supratrac, Kevlar, and super resin stickers to justify their higher price point in the market at that time.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Just to be clear, are you referring to the ame 4000 ashland checmicals high performance marine sticker on the transom?

Yup, mine had the same sticker in the same spot.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

I hope to remove that sticker whenever I get back to working on the outside of the boat. That may be next spring sometime...

1986 Saltare

I'll post some more pics soon, but I've got the floor completely in. I was making a few tweaks today to how the removeable pieces fit, and had the tablesaw kick back a small board at what seemed like 900 mph. Nothing is broken, but it is very swollen, bruised, and tender. No pain, no gain!
    Attached Images Attached Images

1986 Saltare

Kickback sucks, glad you kept your finger......can't let your "guard" down for a second on them saws.......
    90 Conbrio