Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Block Drain Plugs>>>>use Them

I am amazed at how many people try and come up with ways not to drain their block for winterization...... Plain and simple they were put there for a reason.....USE THEM.......then if you want fill your block with Afreeze thru the Jtube off the tstat after you have drained or sucked out the water. Any other way then you better have a precise understanding how the cooling system works on marine engines
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Probably works great on new engines.... my engine has perhaps NEVER had the block drains out (at least not in the 8 years I've owned it...)

I tried it the first year and after breaking two sockets and an impact wrench not working.... decided I'd just leave them in. I remove the thermostat and suck 6 gallons of RV antifreeze through the engine. It runs out the exhaust the same color it goes in.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Woton, what plugs exactly were you trying to remove? The block plugs are brass and the manifold plugs are steel with a 1/2" female driver head. How did you break 2 sockets and an impact? The block plugs whould have just twisted off and you can not get an impact on the manifold plugs?

Yes, the engine drain plugs should be used to drain the engine and manifolds. Remember engines are very expensive to replace, If the engine freezes, the cast iron will crack and leak water either in to the oil or outside the block into the bilge, or both. Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

I couldn't imagine being unable to get the block drains out with an impact. What type of engine? Usually we're talking brass NPT plugs with 9/16" hex heads. I've always had them come out relatively easy with a long handled flex head 3/8" drive ratchet, even on boats that I know they weren't regularly removed for winterization.

I drained mine last weekend, a 454. The block plugs came out like butter. Watched and they drained probably several gallons, with minimal debris, and ensured holes were not plugged with debris. Then pulled the uber NPT plugs in the back of the manifolds. I doubt they're been out recently. I hit them with PB and heat cycled them once, then used a cheater bar on my ratchet since I couldn't get a breaker bar in there. Took some grunting and groaning, but got them out and both manifolds drained with only minor debris coming out. Also pulled a plug on my raw water feed line between the raw water pump and trans cooler.

I suppose with those 5 plugs pulled and drained I shouldn't worry about it, but this weekend I'm going to pull the thermostat and run a few gallons of RV antifreeze through it, then pull plugs again to drain that. I worry about small amounts of water anywhere, particularly in the raw water pump or trans cooler that could freeze and do damage. I'm probably paranoid and it would be fine as-is, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    I am amazed at how many people try and come up with ways not to drain their block for winterization...... Plain and simple they were put there for a reason.....USE THEM.......then if you want fill your block with Afreeze thru the Jtube off the tstat after you have drained or sucked out the water. Any other way then you better have a precise understanding how the cooling system works on marine engines
    Pointed and on spot!
    I cycled anti-freeze through the whole system FIRST and then drain (block plugs, exhaust manifolds, and pull the hoses off the impeller pump, j-tube and hoses off the T-stat housing).

I'm sure you can be safe with just drain but I like the added insurance of whatever liquid may be left in a low spot or in the exhaust muffler to be freeze free as well Just cautious I guess being a first timer!

Don't have a heater but think this process would save $$$ for alot who fail to get all the water out of the core on those. It gets damn cold in Big Sky Country (probably where u live too?)
    2007 Moomba Outback
    Why Not? Play Hard! Get WET.....

Where do you guys run the anti-freeze through? I'd really like to do that to be safe. I winterized last weekend fortunately, we have a 20 degree night this coming weekend.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

Here's the system I use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DilR2Yyu-K0

Consists of a catch basin, PVC routing to recirculate into catch basin all the fluid from exhaust, hose from basin to intake. Run engine up to operating temp, dump water, add 4-5 gallons of environment friendly anti-freeze, and run through your system.

Most would be fine leaving as is for winter but I drain as an added measure since I'm a worry wart!
    2007 Moomba Outback

Default Minute Drain System

Just thought I would put this website out for anybody to review if you like. I came across this system a few years ago when I was going to have it installed on my 33' Baja but then a friend gave me a boat safe heater that he did not need anymore. www.minutedrain.com

Quote Originally Posted by beast 496 View Post
    Woton, what plugs exactly were you trying to remove? The block plugs are brass and the manifold plugs are steel with a 1/2" female driver head. How did you break 2 sockets and an impact? The block plugs whould have just twisted off and you can not get an impact on the manifold plugs?

Yes, the engine drain plugs should be used to drain the engine and manifolds. Remember engines are very expensive to replace, If the engine freezes, the cast iron will crack and leak water either in to the oil or outside the block into the bilge, or both. Al
    Hmm..... makes me wonder. The plugs I tried to remove were certainly not brass.... They were 1/2" female and (I think) in the rear of the engine block. Tried to put a ratchet directly into them and broke both 1/2" drivers.... tried with an impact wrench and they didn't budge. Gave up after that.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraTamu View Post
    Just thought I would put this website out for anybody to review if you like. I came across this system a few years ago when I was going to have it installed on my 33' Baja but then a friend gave me a boat safe heater that he did not need anymore. www.minutedrain.com
    So is anybody on here using this?
    Or know of anybody using it?
    Just wondering. Good idea but looks like the valves are fairly small and might be prone to plugging themselves?
    2007 Moomba Outback