Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Jet, how many tournament ski boats can you think of that make less wake than a non sacked comp???? The Centurion Wave does not count..

Any how it was a 3 passanger Doo!! Got to keep it legal to ride behind.

ski brendella does a good job of having no wake at all without sacs

OK..OK.. your killing this guy. My COMP holds 1200 lbs all hidden..or I can do 1400 with one small 400 on the floor behind the engine, it holds up to 6- people with 1 riding, (its only tight when everyone wants to stand up and walk around at the same time) but I usually go out with 3-guys and load it up 1600-1800lbs, it has a nice 15"-18" wake (taller and wider than a sea-doo,lol) My only problem is I live in a WINDY state, Tx. These boats like smooth water..but who goes out on real wind days anyway??. Jsandy..you want to ride, board and have fun..and really ANY boat will do. Buy what you want and get out there and have fun. I love my boat VERY much, are there BETTER boats..yes. BUT! I love hanging out with my Supra buddies even more. Jet

p.s. all I want when I ride is smooth water and a long run..I could be behind a sea-doo and it wouldn't matter to me..I love riding. It is WHO I am and Its ingrained into my soul..and it takes all of my problems away. I love you man.
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

96Comp Guest

I'm with Jet. My Comp has a 18" or so wake when loaded with 2 v-drive sacks. A little smaller with 2 side sacs. I use the side sacs with more people and their weight makes up the difference between the side and v-drive sacs. With the correct talent (does not include me) boarders have done grabs, inverts and spins off my boat. I can manage a spin, but just barely! However, this boat really shines as a competition tow boat -- which is exactly what it was designed to do! I like to slalom more than wakeboard, so it's perfect. My kids like to wakeboard, so it's perfect for them. The boat can be tricky when wet (loaded with sacs). I also raise the wakeplate and helps shape the wake. Also helps to bring in your rope a few loops. You won't get that long pendulum speed as a longer rope will give you, but as someone else said, popping off a small wake will make you a better wakeboarder. (I suppose the reverse is also true that running the course on a large wake will make you a better slalom skier!) The only thing I cannot do is drop the rope while surfing. We went to a short board to do some spins. Got to pass the rope, though. Get the boat to fits what you want to do -- also get a trampoline. In addition to making your homeowner's insurance go up, it will help you with the air-tricks. I think the Comp looks the sleekest on the water, but I am biased! I went with a New Dimensions tower on mine and the shade n store to help declutter all the toys.

Please dont get me wrong, ANY boat is better than NO boat.

I guess the question comes down to this though. If all you comp owners could do it again, and your looking for a boat, and you have the cash, would you STILL buy a comp having owned one? or, would you look for something like a Sunsport if the price was going to be about the same?

I think the price of this comp in question has hedged too far into the same price range as a decent Sunsport or similar. If the price was less, then it would be an easier decision. but I cant give advice to a stranger to buy a boat like this when I know I just got my boat for a bit less. Especially if he is a college student, I think the open bow is an option he would want if he knew he could get it in his price range.

I am really sorry to Hijack this thread so bad. Here are a couple boats I found in your general area that I would recommend at least having a look at or investigating further.

I realize some of them are a couple hundred miles from your current location. If the boat was the right price you could factor in your road trip to pick it up into the cost. You get an adventure, and a boat at the same time.

If you MUST have a comp then I would look at something in this range first

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2064006891.html

If you dont mind driving a bit farther and have the $5000 anyway then I would consider one of these ones

http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/2037176868.html

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/boa/2050818440.html
    Last edited by stinky_1; 12-11-2010 at 10:41 PM.

96Comp Guest

Cool

If I could buy again would I buy a Comp? Yes! Like I said above, I also slalom so I like the smaller wake. There are times when an open bow would be nice. He needs to consider life cycle and use. If going to invest a lot of $$$ to make a Comp a board boat, may not want to do it. It is a dry (no built in ballast) limited storage boat. When it comes time to sell, he'll have to find a slalom minded buyer. If he is a die hard boarder may be better to build a Sunsport over time. The hull is a classic and will be serviceable for years! But, not as classic as the Comp )

I assumed that the OP was more wakeboard oriented which was why he is saying he would be putting a tower on whatever he buys.

I will agree that adding a tower with lots of racks on it is a great way to keep the boat clear of clutter though. as far as I am concerned it is the ONLY way to make some of these smaller boats work.

Thank you for your honest opinion, especially stating the reason why you would go with the comp over the other options. I guess what we really need is the OP to come back and state what exactly he is planning to use this boat for, and then we could better give our opinions. I always assumed he was looking for a budget boat he could wakeboard on.

OK bigger boat guys..try this! Put her in the garage. lol. Mine fits right in there..no storage fees-$100-$150, no tongue fold over and I can walk right out in the garage and start working on her. I know older homes have larger garages but my house is brand new and tight. For budget wakeboarding this boat is great, you dont need a HUGE truck or huge storage place to store it. This thread is never going to end is it. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub