Default Removing skeg/fin

I have an '89 Saltare with a bent rear skeg/fin. I thought I would remove it and have it fixed. The bolts came out fine but the skeg/fin wouldn't come off -- it's like its glued to the bottom of the boat. Any suggestions on removing it?

Thanks,

Default Replying to Topic 'Removing skeg/fin'

If it's anything like the tower on my 02 SSV, then you'd be looking at an epoxy type silicone (5200 marine adhesive) that's available from West Marine. I did manage to get my tower off with lots of TLC and the use of "anti-bond 2015" which is a spray. I MUST FOREWARN YOU, DO NOT PRY OFF, you will rip the gelcoat off down literally to the fiberglass and quite possible most of that as well. I called SUPRA direct and was told what adhesive held the tower and feel its used most everywhere. I used roughly 20 cans of this spray and it does eventually erode/eat away at the adhesive. It takes a lot of time and I wish you luck. Call SUPRA in Maryville and ask for someone in service. They will be able to tell you what is holding it on the boat.

Default Replying to Topic 'Removing skeg/fin'

The fin is not put on with 5200, just boatlife. The fin will pry off using a dead blow or pipe wrench. Jay