Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First inboard question

I have a question for all don't know alot about Supra's but a local boat dealer in my area has a 1989 supra Bravura for sale about 600 hours for 8500. Tried to load pics I have in email, but aren't working for some reason. Question I have is I can't find much on the web on this boat, but if loaded correctly would this boat be good for wakeboarding?

Welcome to the board, Rainman.

The Bravura was a closed bow version of the Mariah. A little longer, but not as deep (36" vs 48" amidship) as the Sunsport/Marauder that's so sought after by those wanting to add ballast. But with a closed bow, weighting one down & taking a wave over the nose isn't as big a deal. Others with more experience with the Mariah/Bravura will be able to speak better as to its wakeboardability.

600 hours should be no problem on a boat engine, but 89 vintage means wooden stringers/floor so make sure you check that out real good (especially at 8500).
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

sounds like a good boat, al ot of supra's were built to wake board before they knew what wake boarding was:
    My advice to you
    1. Test the stringers, no matter what the dealer says!!!!!!!!!
    2. Take it for a long test run, i mean 30-40 mins easy, really push it, if it does not preform to your expectation, question the dealer?
    3. look around the engine is it rusty?, is there oil in the bilge?
    4. Low ball offer, and counter offer " the worst he can say is no!

where are u located?
    was it run in salt water?, thats take a ton of money off the value of the boat, Was the bottom painted?,
    has the engine been rebuilt?
    how is the interior? Is the trailer Rusted?, usually that takes up to 1000 dollars off the price of a boat, because they are custom trailer, and a replacement trailers are not cheap.
    Thats what i stated with when i was buying my boat,
    My final thought-"The price listed is only the asking price.!"
    Good luck hope you get her
    IT's just a boat - You need to love it!
    Caress Me down - 1991 Supra Sunsport

I just moved to Wisconsin from NC and had many friends with boats, Unfortunatly the season here is so short I don't want to go crazy on a boat yet, as I plan to only be here about two years. I hear a lot about the sunsport being the boat to go with for wakeboarding, is there going to be a big difference in wake distrabution between the two?

haugy pops in here every once in a while and he could speak very well to the Mariah...that's what he has. IIRC he runs 600# or so of weight and gets a good wake. I would agree on the fact the closed bow could help you because you wouldn't be as worried about dipping the nose or taking a wave over the bow.

Definitely heed edgewater's advice. Make sure you sake it out really good and inspect as much as you can. If you start browsing through threads on here you will see that most of the Supras of that age have been rebuilt, are being rebuilt or need to be rebuilt due to rot issues.

Rainman -- Where in wisconsin are you?

If you're buying the boat for wakeboarding, keep looking. If you're buying the boat for short-term, keep looking.

These boats have a low-freeboard. Can you wakeboard on it? Yes. Is it going to be as good as a sunsport? Not even close. Can you surf on it? QUESTIONABLE! You can find sunsports in that price range that have already been restored or have loads of extras included.... keep looking! There are TONS of buys out there right now if you are patient and able to travel a bit to pick something up.

The other issue with this boat, is that if you are going to sell it in 2-3 years you're going to take a beating. Closed bows are very, very tough to sell and will not hold their value as well.

The last issue is the stringers -- At this point, knowing what I know about the supras from this board, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a pre-1992 Supra without budgeting/planning/understanding and being prepared to replace the stringers within the next 3 years. It's reality and no amount of wishful thinking is going to change that.

Keep looking. Your budget is reasonable for a first inboard boat. Look for a ski nautique 2001 or a restored SunSport. Good luck and feel free to keep asking questions!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I live by green bay in appleton exactly, know any good spots around here. I could go after 93 but looking at many of them it seems to be same hull so you take the chance now or pay the extra to insure no rot.

I know this may be a touchy subject but is sunsport more preferable to nautique 2001?

I will load a few pics here any help would be helpfull, from talking it sounds like for the same price I should find a sunsport
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pics of the boat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it is in decent shape and it does have a tower already, but that price is still pretty high. I wouldn't go any higher than about $6000 if the stringers are good enough to hold up a few years. If it is ready for a stringer job, I'd want to knock a couple grand more off the price. I think a Sunsport would be better, especially if you want to do a fair amount of wakeboarding or surfing.