Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Post your Boat History and pics

So, in the few years I have been riding I have gone through 4 boats. My first boat was a 71 ish (dont remember) Glastron. It was all original. Equipped with a 65 HP 3 Cyl 2 stroke motor. This was certainly a fishing boat if you ever saw one. The motor was tired as could be. With a bit of a tune up I had it ready for the water. Our whole family went out the next sunday for a run around the lake and to try it out.

The looks of disgust from all the people as I fired the poor 2 stroke up was amazing. I had got a bit carried away when I mixed the oil in the gas. So it was really on the oily side. People in boats beside me at the dock were hiding their noses in their swim suits and towels while I warmed the boat up. One after one my wife and kids hoped in and away we went. We used that boat for one entire summer. I learned how to wakeboard behind it as well as my wife and a bunch of relatives and close friends.

I ended up cutting the fiberglass seats out of the boat and laying new floor and carpet. Then using the left over seat peices I made a frame of scrap 2X4's and had a driver seat. Used an old steering wheel from one of my skylines to replace the tired old one that was on it at the time. Here aRE some pics

In the winter that year I bought a "steal" of a boat in a 88 Capri. I finally had my open bow boat! It had a small little 128 HP 4 banger in it (same as the ford ranger, mustang and so on had in those years). I was happy as can be. Only problem was the boat was waaay too big for the motor. It struggled more than my 65 hp OB to get me out of the water. The boat was up for sale after only one outing in it

The day after I sold that boat I drove 10 hours and picked up my 1977 Nautique. This boat was amazing! I got a great deal and it worked great until the day it was sold. I built many many custom "things" for the boat.

I spent a couple hundred $$$ on the trailer. Painted it, put a new winch on it, new fenders welded on, brand new tires, and some guide rails.

It wasnt long before I really wanted some storage. So I bastardized the interior and built my own custom seats

I also have very small children. So I built a roller coaster inspired restraint system. It worked exactly as intended for the entire summer

As you can see. I had a TON more room once all the benches were built. No more tripping over gear. I was able to fit a 350 lbs ballast in front of that front bench. And a 550 lbs ballast in the rear bench.

Last edited by stinky_1; 01-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.

This brings us to where I am now. I bought this just before christmas. I still have not had it in the water or even had a chance to clean it up or do anything to it.

Its been amazing how far I have come in just 3 short years. I always dreamed of being a boat owner, its great that we can actually fit it into our lives, and the whole family enjoys it.

Now that I have bored you all, show us the pics of your boat history! I need something to get me through this winter.

cool boats man..

I started out with a cuddy 350mag Celebrity Status.. It was my uncles boat that he bought new and I always was into speed and sound when I was a kid.. Needless to say it was just a party boat.. It sucked fuel like no other and would take a year to get the nose down pulling a wakeboarder... So after 2 years of owning it i was happy to sell it! But I will say there was a lot of good times with friends and women on that boat!

Soon after I sold it I was going through with drawl not having a boat.. I saw a 91 sunsport all done up on ebay and for some reason it caught my eye.. The owner is on here as rollingrock33.. Anyway I owned a wakeboard but never got to into it becuase my boat sucked for keeping a steady speed between 20-25.. it was always 27-up to keep the nose down!

Anyway My old nieghbor down deepcreek md had this supra since new and I thought Id buy it and try out in inboard... I got it for a good price and my plan was to just FLIP it after I try it out.. Turns out the first five minutes of driving it I loved it.. it was old and needed updated... and i mean a lot of updating.. But the ol lady enjoyed it and my nephew's loved it because was all was doing some kind of activity behind the boat other then just swimming!

It wasn't even a week later and I got a tower! Ash Could Drive the boat and FINALLY I could wakeboard.. Nobody could ever drive my celebrity since it would point the nose up and take years come level out even with trim tabs and 300 hp

Last edited by dshaff24; 01-29-2011 at 12:41 AM.

So it was on from there...

This boat is still far from done.. but its definitly my favorite project that I ever did!

! While I was building the supra I did buy a boat to buy and sell after the supra was done.. It was a pretty fun boat for speed and handling.. 454 MAG power play 222 .. IT was sold a day after the supras first voyage though!

Last edited by dshaff24; 01-29-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Great boats. Great thread. I'm going to share some pics below and I apologize that I don't have actual pics on some of my boats. They were before digital camera and even if I could find the old prints, I'd have to scan them. So for a couple of boats I'm found a picture that represents the make and model of boat I owned. Here we go:

My first was a small boat that we call the "bathtub" boat. It was 15' long with a monstrous 50hp outboard. We fished, skied, kneeboarded, and tubed behind it. This is a pic I found that looks something like it.

The there was the Glastron. A 24 foot cuddy cabin. I rebuilt the motor and a few things on the interior. We loved this boat and did all the same activities as the bathtub boat, but with a lot more room. Another couple of pics I found online.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839