Hybrid View

Default Going The Distance

Thanks for all your posts. It gave me the info and, more importantly, the courage to tackle this. I bought this boat off craigs list for $1500, knowing the motor lost oil pressure. Pulled the motor and broke it down. Piston sleeves need polishing, new piston rings, new cams and cam shaft. While motor is out I thought "why not wet sand and put new paint on...
    I opened a can of worms there. Started pulling seats out and found some rot. Being a carpenter I know that where there is rot on the surface there is usually rot in the substructure. I had my fingers crossed because the deck was new, but when I did a core check on the joist it showed rot also. Crap! I'm gutting her. She's had her top off before because there is a thousand rivots and two pounds of silicon holding it down...good times.

Well after pulling the brand new deck someone put in I found rot, water, and mold. There was even a little cockroach under there. They used "Great Stuff" to foam in a couple of sections. The foam was literally soaked. After removing it all the boat was probably 200#'s lighter. The floor joist are rotten, so I'll be taking those out as well. Looks like it's going to be a "SUPRA-BOWL SUNDAY"..HA!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rlhahn; 02-06-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Good for you. Take lots of pictures. Not surprised to hear about the water, mold and rot.

It looks like you're making good progress already. Keep us up to date with pics!

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Thumbs up

Welcome to the IN to Deep and No Return Now Club! Its worth it when done right! keep the pics rolling!

Congtrats on your project. Any questions or concerns, Just ask

Default Got the lid off

Got everything loose from lid and cranked it up today. Just need to get my buddies over to move it...funny how they are always around in the summer when it's "wakeboard time"..Ha!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcg View Post
    Congtrats on your project. Any questions or concerns, Just ask
    Has anyone tried using Composite wood alternatives? Trex makes a composite PVC that is supposed to have a 25 year no rot warranty? If you did use something like this, would you still epoxy?