Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcg View Post
    Congtrats on your project. Any questions or concerns, Just ask
    Has anyone tried using Composite wood alternatives? Trex makes a composite PVC that is supposed to have a 25 year no rot warranty? If you did use something like this, would you still epoxy?

I'm not sure that Trex's product will have the same strength. There are composite stringers available for sale......
    90 Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by vvfdfirefighter View Post
    Has anyone tried using Composite wood alternatives? Trex makes a composite PVC that is supposed to have a 25 year no rot warranty? If you did use something like this, would you still epoxy?
    I'm going with Coosa board bluewater 26. It's expensive, but it's lightweight and resin is optional. Tamara Fee is the rep and is able to answer any questions.
    Phone: 205-663-3225 ext 102

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
    I'm not sure that Trex's product will have the same strength. There are composite stringers available for sale......
    Trex makes residential composite decking material...2x4,2x6....

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcg View Post
    I'm going with Coosa board bluewater 26. It's expensive, but it's lightweight and resin is optional. Tamara Fee is the rep and is able to answer any questions.
    Phone: 205-663-3225 ext 102
    Thanks NeilMcg, I'll keep that in mind, but I still have my fingers crossed that its just the one soft spot behind the driver seat towards the bilge. Everything is origional on my boat. Even the upholstery. So we'll see what happens...Needs to get re-upholstered in the next year or so, its starting to show signs of cracking.

You weren't kidding about expensive at all! Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by vvfdfirefighter View Post
    Trex makes residential composite decking material...2x4,2x6....
    I work with it every spring when somebody needs a deck. I think its way to flexible to offer the structure a hull needs. Still it wouldn't rot, I'll give you that!!
    25 yrs wouldn't be long enough, when the wooden ones are basically lasting that length. There's a composite supplier selling stringer material for boats, just can't remember which thread it was posted in....
    90 Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
    I work with it every spring when somebody needs a deck. I think its way to flexible to offer the structure a hull needs. Still it wouldn't rot, I'll give you that!!
    25 yrs wouldn't be long enough, when the wooden ones are basically lasting that length. There's a composite supplier selling stringer material for boats, just can't remember which thread it was posted in....
    That's exactly why I asked the question. Thanks for the Answer. Note to self, its too flexible!!! We'll scratch that thought then and move to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by rlhahn View Post
    I finally had some help last night moving the top over. Here are a few pics I took for ya. Hope they help. I'll be cutting new stringers and glassing this week, wish me luck.
    Just a curious question fo ryou rlhahn? I've heard talk on other boat forums about replacing stringers...Now in more than a handful of other pages I've seen people say NOT to let the new stringers touch the Hull of the boat...They say You will set up local stress points that will crack the hull. Many people suggest a 1/4" gap between the stringer and the hull....Has anyone heard this before???

Don't know about that one?? How would you attach the stringers if they aren't touching the hull?