Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vvfdfirefighter View Post
    Has anyone tried using Composite wood alternatives? Trex makes a composite PVC that is supposed to have a 25 year no rot warranty? If you did use something like this, would you still epoxy?
    I don't see why you couldn't use a composit wood product for the stringers. My only question would be "if you didn't glass and epoxy them what would hold them in place?"

That gap is being left for your bedding material, where you'll lay it up and create the rounded fillet for the glass to lay over where it meets the hull....
    90 Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
    That gap is being left for your bedding material, where you'll lay it up and create the rounded fillet for the glass to lay over where it meets the hull....
    what do you use for bedding material?

What is the bedding material? Do you mean the foam? If so, I'm not using foam.

Is this for real?? Why would you gap it?? I thought guys were just using 5200 to glue it to the floor?
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Quote Originally Posted by WakeSurfCanada View Post
    WakeSurfCanada, although I thank you for the help with your google search sarcasm, the whole reason for this thread is to ask questions. Again I thank you for your help, but may I remind you that some of us are just looking for advice, since people on here have done the work already and I've seen people talk about doing it differently on different pages.

"Run a router with a round over bit over bit over the top of the stringers. The biaxle will conform much easier than any roven woven and is stronger. Run some generous fillets down each side of the stringer. 1 1/2in radius. To make things easier to lay. Run the biaxle down each side. Cover the fillet and go to
    the top -- side of the stringer, but don't wrap it over the top. Tape the top of the stringer with several layers of 8oz tape. This will help from getting air traped under your glass and be easier to lay. Smaller pieces are always easier to handle."

My question now is what is a founded fillet????

I thought that most people were using 5200 to bond to the floor and then laying over with cloth?? Would that not work?

what is biaxle, roven woven..use 8oz tape?? Really? Im very confused now.
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

A fillet is just a rounded corner. You can make bedding and fillet material by mixing a filler (micro balloons, talc, chopped strand, wood dust, etc) with resin to form a goopy putty like substance.

You want to use a bedding material between the stringers and hull so that there is uniform contact between the two surfaces which avoids air pockets and local stress points that can lead to cracks. It takes a little practice to get the consistency just right - too dry & it won't squish well, too wet & it won't hold shape. Be fairly liberal with laying down the bedding material and use what squishes out when you set the stringer in to form a radius (fillet) between the hull and stringer before it sets up (I like to use the rounded end of a 1" wide wooden tongue depressor). You'll probably have to go back after it sets to build up and dress up the fillets before glassing. Again, a fillet is just a radiused filler to help the glass lay down in the corner.

1-1/2" seems pretty big for biaxial cloth. I'm no glassman, but I can lay heavy 17 oz biaxial with a 1/2 to 1" fillet. Also, rather than sanding the fillets perfectly smooth prior to glassing - you can rough sand (80 grit) them relatively smooth & then lay down another pass of fillet filler material and then lay the glass while the filler is still wet. This way you can really work the glass into the fillet without bubbles. Preparation is key (cloth pre-cut, all supplies handy, etc.) & have to pre-wet the cloth, work quickly, & watch your resin kick times.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____