Thread: ski wake

Default ski wake

I have an 03 comp lts and have had a hard time dealing with the bumb at 22 off. I've been an avid skier for years but am new to the slalom course. After skiing 15 off at 36mph I moved to 22 off at 32mph and felt like I was going to break my ankles every time I hit the rooster tail. I tried adjusting wake plate, using knees and ankles as shocks, different speeds, and I just biff almost every time. At 15 off wake is nonexistant. I was curious about other supra owners experiences with the 22 off bump and in general about others learning the slalom course.

Default Replying to Topic 'ski wake'

I have an 04 Comp LTS. I think the hull is the same, but not sure. I don't know why you would have a bump that is bad at 22 off. I can agree that the 15 off wake is essentially non-existant, but my 22 off is virtually nill as for bump. I have never skied behind a boat that is better. No offense, but 22 may be a mental thing to get over as opposed to actual wake. Been there. Get on edge and go for it, you shouldn't feel much. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I have considered that it may be my skiing ability that makes 22 off seem hard at this point, humbling though it may be. I recieved a tip that switching to a Acme 3 blade prop may improve the wake. So, the prop is comming as a christmass gift. Dry suit just came for birthday. Soon I'll be out there trying to get over the hump.

I had that problem for over 10 years. It is not the wake - its more likely you are getting pulled off your edge at the wake and you get the bump because your ski is flat. Ill tell you what worked for me but im sure there are 100 other ways as well. The key here is more time.

Reduce your speed at 22 off to 28 mph. Here you are almost sinking and you will learn so much about your pull, your knee position, your hip position, your sholder position and rope position. If you can complete this pass two or 3 times DONT go up to 30mph but rather skip to 28 off. Here you will really learn what your doing wrong but becaus the speed is so slow you will have plenty of time to correct the body and rope positions but it forces you to stay on edge and when you dont is way way obvious.

Now when you get 28 off at 28 mph to or three times bump that up to 30 and so on. I spent over 10 years stuck at 15 off at 34 mph. Within 2-3 months, I stuck 28 off at 34mph three concecutive days in a row using this approch. Good Luck
    Chris Walker
    President, www.spotlessboat.com
    President Emeritus, www.usawakeboard.com