Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default 85 Sunsport - "The Destroyer"

Hey Guys!

Here's a few pic's and a brief rundown on the 85 Sunsport me and a buddy purchased about a month ago for 3k.

The story from the seller:
    85 Sunsport that "Runs", but it just needs a starter.

Engine completely rebuilt in 06 w/ receipts and bored 30 over

New Rudder + Prop

Looks a little rough around the edges, but what can you expect for 3k with a trailer.

Interior shows well, but has a few imperfections that can be worked on

The actual story:
    Seller had the WRONG starter in there, not even close to the proper alignment to engage.

Once the starter situation was figured out, we quickly realized that the engine was seized! Would not turn over!

Pulled the plugs to find a few a little rusty. Started with a concoction of WD-40 and SeaFoam "Deep Creep" penetrating oil. After about a week I was able to get the motor turning over with a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt.

After that new plugs and everything hooked up, it would still not fire! After much reading and some basic mechanical/electrical knowledge, it came down to a timing/firing order issue, that I believe to have inherited from the previous owner. After figuring that out, the motor runs like a champ! Changed the fluids and put it in the water!

Got it out on the water for the first time this past weekend and absolutely love the boat and the way it handles. Although the lake I am on is quite big, and does get some serious chop on it the boat held its own quite well!

As its the end of the summer, the plan is to suck as much fun out if this thing as possible before tis to cold to be out there in even wet suits, and then a full on rebuild (cash flow permitting) over the winter.

To come out with something that we can enjoy for many year out on the lake from here on in! A serious wakesurf/wakeboard boat in the making!

In the future:

-Stringers + exterior fix up!
    -Tower
    -Stereo
    -Fat Sacs

Thanks for looking and keep your eyes out as I will post some pics as we start some work on it over the winter.

I posted up some pics of the boat as purchased and the last one is of it in the boat slip a block from my house, FINALLY!

Cheers,

WSC
    Attached Images Attached Images

She looks great! New interior and you will be so happy! Glad to hear the motor issues have been resolved. To think they thought it was seized when they just messed up the plug order. What a great find!!! I wish many years of happiness.

I put in my budget stereo for under $500. In case you want to chat..
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Congrats. Looks like you have a great foundation to build upon to make it what you want it to be.

I was looking at that one too. In fact, the binimi cover was stolen over the winter right. Soft floor in spots too..... Great deal on the boat, even though you were making the deal as I called .

Quote Originally Posted by DAFF View Post
    I was looking at that one too. In fact, the binimi cover was stolen over the winter right. Soft floor in spots too..... Great deal on the boat, even though you were making the deal as I called .
    You got it DAFF!

Has been a little bit more work than originally anticipated (for this season at least) and a stringer job is definatly in order.

Hope all goes well with finding a new boat yourself!

Cheers,

Default Here we go!

Hey Guys,

Finally towed the boat in out of the frozen cold and started ripping it apart.

As suspected stringers are pooched, to the point where I could probably kick a few of the out, now that the foam is gone.

With that being said, got a sold 2 days work on the boat and have it stripped right down to the bones at this point, much further that I would have anticipated for 2 days work.

Here are a few pics of the progress made thus far, and will keep posting as we continue on.

Looks like you're off to a nice start. Keeping posting pictures and updates.

Another one torn apart - congratulations & great progress outta the gate. Looks like you've got plenty of room to work, but I built a similar cradle for the top cap and put some cheap Harbor Freight furniture dollies underneath - makes moving it around easy.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

haha, that's funny...I thought about going to look at this one too! Glad someone got their hands on here and is going to treat her right.

Where are you located?

You know it! Feels good to make some headway on this project while there is still snow on the ground. Hoping to have it back in the water when things start to warm up, but my wallet and work schedule will be the deciding factor.

Here's some more pics of our progress so far nothing new from last week, but finally got some pics off the camera.

Live just north of Toronto (innisfill area) but work in North York.

Where are you Ptown?