Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

You're a brave man, good luck

I'm thinking those exhaust manifolds are probably REALLY full of rust. You'll have to repaint them (probably would anyway.) but I'd probably let them sit in an electrolytic tank for a couple of days and get creative with how you make some electrodes.

I'd get yourself a big plastic bin as this method is going to REALLY help you out with your engine mounts and all kinds of other parts.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Yeah, there is def some rust inside the manifolds. My concern was more with cracks, and wall-thickness. Like with the risers, even if I did some good brazing and fixed the cracks, the interior walls are corroded down to nothing.
    Thanks for the link on the rust removal, I'll def be looking through that. I'm planning on wire-brushing then painting everything as it is, but that method might help with the spots that are hard to reach (like the inside of the manifolds).

ngavdba:
    As a matter of fact there were several blow-outs along the way, and a couple of wheel bearings. I sent my dad down (cause he had some time off work) with a few spare tires/wheels.

Maybe the XL is Chevy 350... I dunno... It's hard to tell if that's the original motor or not. Like I said, the carb and distributor look to be automotive style, but I'm not 100%. About half of the bolts are stainless, and the rest aren't.

Yeah, this one def didn't have an easy life. I'm not sure what they were using it for, it has this tall pole basically strapped to the original ski pole. You can see it in some of the pics. The pole is made of regular steel, and rusted like a mo-fo. I can't see it supporting towing without ripping out of the floor. So, it's kind-of a mystery unless they had it strapped to the bow or something. Still, I can't imagine the ocean is the best place to board, ski, tube. So choppy... There is lots of corrosion on stuff that isn't even regularly in-contact with the water (motor mounts ect). Must just be lots of salt in the air, and it attacks everything.

It's been sitting outside in the elements here too, but honestly, it can't really get any worse if you know what I mean. So, until I finish the floor, put the motor back in and stuff she'll prob be sleeping outside.

Ahh, I love me some boat pics. And restoration pics are the best. I love seeing someone take something old, tired, worn out, and make it good again. Welcome to the Supra club and thanks for the pics. Keep them coming and congrats on your new boat.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

the shape of that hull just looks tough, I love that boat, you'll have a great time bring'in her back....
    90 Conbrio

I disagree with the general concept that a boat must be stored inside to be well maintained. But I dont really want to argue about it. I do not so lucky as to have indoor storage but I certainly do not mistreat my baby.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

I'm in the same situation as Mikey. My garage isn't big enough for the saltare but it gets covered and lovingly dried out VERY often.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Ok guys. Last night I took off the other manifold, distributor, carburetor, valve covers, and intake. I took some pics and will try to post them tomorrow. I'll be taking off the accessories on the front, and then the heads to see what kind of shape the bottom end is in. Mainly I want to see what kind of shape the pistons are in, as well as have the block tanked. The guy I bought it from didn't know anything about the boat, he just picked it up from some old guy cause it had been just sitting. He didn't know what kind of shape the engine in, he said it needed to be rebuilt, but wasn't sure why. He said he thinks it got overheated, which normally isn't catastrophic but can be. Worst-case I might have some broken pistons, but at the least I think I'll do main bearings, rings, cam bearings, and a cam. As far as the heads go I'm gonna have the machine shop replace the seals and what-not.

when you get to the pistons you will be able to tell if it is marine, or marinized. Look for smaller pistons than normal, and bigger rings. Especially your ring end gap will be bigger.

The reason for this is that marine engines run much cooler on the sleeves, and normal temps on the piston face. So to make sure everything fits nice they tended to run them with way bigger clearances in the hot parts.

with the vintage of the boat its possible most of your stuff is not "marine". including your dist and carb. Back in the day to be marine rated the carb just needed a bent tube for the fuel bowl vent. Even then not every boat had that.

There was very very little on my 77 nautique that was actually "marine".

Hopefully you dont find too many surprises in that motor. You can get a new set of manifolds and risers off ebay for decently cheap. I would look at going that route. I have JB welded split risers before and they held up fine. Yours are split a lot more though. You would want to consider stitching them first. There is very little (if any) pressure built up int he system by the time it gets there anyway, so they dont need much. Just the heating and cooling off them will be your enemy.

I have a similar trailer story with my nautiques purchase. Now that I look back on it though that was an adventure that I wouldnt trade for anything.

Have fun

I mentioned it in other threads, but what the heck?

I bought her without the swim platform, and am planning on making one out of teak. What are the chances someone could measure theirs for me? Maybe a couple of pics? Thanks.

Also still looking for a prop if anyone has something... Thanks!