Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rules about thirds

Hi Guys,

I am curious to know what the laws and rules are on thirds. Specifically how old they have to be, and if there are cases where they are not needed?

I was under the impression in some provinces and states that if you have a convex mirror you do not need a 3rd. Is this the case or have I been miss informed. I couldn't seem to find really any "official" looking thing for my province of alberta that states anything at all.

We have been out many many times with only 2 of us, and never had the "police" say a word.

I've been "warned" in MI, they don't like 2 on my lake....Notsure about Ontario....
    90 Conbrio

I know Kentucky and Georgia only require a mirror to pull a skier/rider. Its kinda nice on those days when the third doesn't show. I would not pull without a spotter unless I know the riders abilities.

I am usually out early in the season up here. Last year we were on the lake the first week in may. The ice had melted off a couple days earlier. So we were the only ones on the water.

In the dead of summer we usually have enough people on the boat anyway. I am mostly worried about our early morning sessions when the sun just gets up, and our late night sessions where we are heading back in the dark. I only have a few friends that are crazy about the sport as much as me to even be out there at those times. The rest of them are fine with the choppy water in mid day.

I have looked through the coast guard site looking for anything that talks about it, but have not managed to find a single thing.

I asked the Ranger here in Oklahoma, They do not have a 3rd / observer law as long as you have a rear facing Mirror... That even includes those dinky jet ski mirrors.. No flag required either which to me seems unsafe...

Colorado law requires a 3rd and a flag ... Although there is not an "age"
    requirement, the rangers seem to think they can interpret this as though there
    is (and I guess, I can see the point):

No person shall operate a vessel on any waters of this state for towing any person on water skies, aquaplanes, surfboards, inner-tubes or any similar devices, unless there is in such vessel a person, in addition to the operator, in a position to observe the progress of the person being towed, and capable of relaying messages to the operator.

I guess the rangers get to decide whether they think someone is capable.
    My 5 year old grand daughter is more observant and focused on working that flag and talking to the driver than most adults I know ... but she is not considered "capable", evidently.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

At least you were able to find something in writing about it. I can see their point. 5 seems a bit young. I think my 5 year old could do the job. I actually trusted out two 2 year olds to tell my wife last year. They sat right beside her and would yell "daddy fall" every time I wiped out.

My 8 year old son has ran the camera in the boat for me as well, and he did a pretty good job of "spotting".

Although a judge may call into question your judgment in having a 5 year old be the spotter, the absence of an age requirement leaves it open to interpretation.

Good posts guys. Keep the information coming.

We have never used a flag either. I have not seen others using it too. Maybe some clarification on that would be good too. I guess if you can use a mirror as your 3rd, the flag is not needed?

Wisconsin requires a 3rd. Minnesota requires a mirror. I ride the river in between the two and there is a specific DNR issued set of rules governing the body of water -- it says that you need to have a 3rd. However, the police have told us that they enforce it based on which state the boat is registered in.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Wotan that is super interesting!!!

Yes it is a state-by-state law (similar to the skier-down flag that most states do not requre). I regularly ride with just two people and my mirror.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

This is a related item. I found a link to a summary of trailering laws thru out the US while
    looking for a similar page for flags and 3rds ..

http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/trailering_laws.asp
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.