Thread: boating laws

Default boating laws

I live in Toledo, OH and just bought a 1987 supra comp at the end of the summer. I was just curious about OHIO boat laws and what the licenses are. Is there a required boating class/license to drive a 20 ft. boat on OHIO rivers and lakes? or is the boating classes just recommended?

thanks for your help,
    Zak
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    -purchased summer of 2010
    -first time boat owner...owned a waverunner for 6 years before this.

It may be hard to find definitive information on something that specific, but there is an authoritative resource on the web. It's pretty easy to follow:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Laws/Ohio...0/Default.aspx

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Zak,

Only thing required here in Ohio is to register the boat with the BMV. Not every BMV will do Marine, so make sure you call them first. TAGs are good for 3 years and they will issue your numbers for the bow of the boat. If you get pulled over by the fish police, they will want to see photo ID, registration, and proof of insurance (don't ask me how I know this) along with all the required saftey gear, life jackets, up to date fire extinguisher, throwable life ring or cushion, etc...

Dave
    2005 22 SSV GG

thanks dave! i registered and got tags right after buying it. i did look online and it seemed as though you are supposed to have the 'boating license' which you can take in a class or online, but maybe i was mistaking. anyways i hope i was because i don't feel like wasting my time and money on a boating education that i have learned since i was 2 lol
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M

Zak,

I stand corrected. If you are below the age limit you must take a course. Sorry, never had to deal with that myself. Here is the reference and only applies to more than 10hp, not a length of vessel.

Boating Education Requirement
    (ORC 1547.05)
    No person born on or after January 1, 1982, shall operate a powercraft powered by more than 10 horsepower unless the operator has received a certificate for successful completion of either of the following:

A boating course approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA);
    A proficiency examination approved by the Ohio Division of Watercraft.

(ORC 1547.051)
    A person required to have the certificate as indicated above and who is stopped by a law enforcement officer while operating a powercraft more than 10 horsepower, shall present to the law enforcement officer the certificate or proof of holding the certificate within 72 hours of being stopped.

(ORC 1547.052)
    No rental business shall lease or rent a powercraft powered by more than 10 horsepower to a person born on or after January 1, 1982, unless the person meets one of the following:

The person signs the rental agreement or attachment indicating that they have completed an approved boating course or proficiency exam as indicated above;
    The person receives educational materials from the rental business and passes an abbreviated exam with a score of 90% or better. Achievement of the passing score will be indicated on or attached to the rental agreement.

Any person born on or after January 1, 1982, that operates or supervises the operation of a leased or rented powercraft, shall meet the requirements in the paragraphs above and be named as an operator on the rental agreement.
    2005 22 SSV GG

Take the course online. Also mention it to your insurance and they may reduce it. Mine did. Paid for itself.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

ok it was the age limit thing, i guess that sucks for me than lol. i looked at the online so i am going to go that route bc it is much quicker. thanks alot guys!
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M