Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default 86Sunsport-phase2

Just thought I'd update everyone on my "progress", which has been slow at best. Phase 1 was completed last year at Viper Customs and now Phase 2 in my garage, which consists of motor and trans clean-up, alignment, new prop and more trailer mods. Here are a few pics of where things stand now.

Motor nearly finished - still need a new alternator and crank pulley.

Motor mounts all cleaned, painted and with new rubber and hardware.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Just cleanup and dressup on the engine. It needed oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets, new thermostat and plugs. I added the new valve covers. I need a new alternator and crank pulley as well. Also the bell housing has a stripped starter bolt hole so I need to get that fixed. After talking with a couple of transmission experts, they talked me out of doing anything with the transmission right now. I think I need a really good alignment and a new prop to take care of the vibration. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one because I would sure hate to get everything else done, be ready for the season and find that my tranny was bad.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Takes a pretty cool dad to put together a wake boat like that one, looks awesome...
    90 Conbrio

Looking good Clint. That motor looks nice!

Thanks Okie. I finished up cleaning and painting the transmission today. Also the exhasut manifolds and some various brackets. We may do something creative with the exhaust - have to see. Also I removed the bell housing so I can take it to the machine shop to be repaired - one of the "blind" starter bolt holes is stripped. More pictures later . . .
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I'm dreading the time when I need to mess with my exhaust manifolds. They're pretty corroded on the bottom side and they'll be a chore to remove, I'm sure.

I definitely like what you've done so far and it will be a nice addition to last years rebuild.

Here's another quick update - pics of the trans and bell housing all cleaned and painted. I used threaded inserts that I got at Autozone to repair the damaged threads on the starter bolt holes. Also pics of the cleaned and painted manifolds.

My oil cooler appeared like it could be damaged so I pressure tested it with air and it held 45psi. Then I flushed it with hot water and the psi rose to 50 - I think it will work fine so I will clean and paint the cooler this weekend.

Just got off the phone with Discount Inboard Marine and ordered my new prop. I went with an ACME #543 which is a 13x11.5 3-blade which should give me a few more rpms on top end. Can't wait for spring!!!
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Definitely coming along nicely. What type of paints are you using? Are you just buying cans or are you using a sprayer? I'm thinking I want to look into getting a sprayer since we do little odds and ends projects all the time requiring paint. Spray paint cans just don't ever seem to cover right IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Definitely coming along nicely. What type of paints are you using? Are you just buying cans or are you using a sprayer? I'm thinking I want to look into getting a sprayer since we do little odds and ends projects all the time requiring paint. Spray paint cans just don't ever seem to cover right IMO.
    The silver is in spray cans from PCM - I wanted it to match what was already on the motor. The black I'm using gloss engine enamel from AutoZone - again spray cans. I'm cleaning with PPG Prepsol and wire brush where necessary. It may not be a showroom finish, but not bad for what it is . . .
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

i'd love to pull my engine and do some touch-ups but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. my rattle can jobs have lasted about as well as can be expected.

clint...i almost hate to ask at this point...did you use high temp paint on the mani's and risers?