Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Sounds System Wiring Question

For all you stereo guru's I have a question...

Would it hurt anything or would I be running a risk of noise issues by running power wires for an eq along with the rca cables that interconnect the eq with the stereo and the amps?

Yes. Seperate if possible. Always keep your power away from everything else. That includes the remote wire.
    -----------------------

2004 Supra Launch SS

Acme 913 prop, WS 420, Kicker L5 sub, JL/Kicker amps, Kicker in boats, Polk mm in roswell bar, 3000# ballast.

"Never underestimate a man that Overestimates himself."

If you had to route the wires wayyyy around the long way and have trouble hiding them, would you still try to keep them seperate? Is there some ways to ensure better shielding so they can be run together or somewhat near each other?

Default I would

When I wired my 420 I ran the rca's around the bow and was able to fish the power wires fairly straight under the floor and come out under the dash. Have not started the boat yet so I'm hoping no alt noise. I did get lots of ground loop noise so I rewired the head unit and the 420 off of the acc battery. Seemed to take care of all of it. It's a pita to keep the rca's seperate but have always had better luck doing so.

Maybe I'll play around with it before I finalize the wiring to see if I'm getting ground loop noise or any other transient noise. My choices are a little limited, but I might be able to run the eq power around the long way to keep it away from the rca's. The way I built my amp rack the amp power wires and rca's almost have to be somewhat near each other. They will exit the amp rack on opposite sides, though. The only other wire to consider is the power wire going to to eq. It is essentially needing to end up in the same place, which was why I was thinking of running it with the rca's. That power wire, by the way, is a 3 conductor insulated style so it will have a little more protection as far as emitting noise, I would think.

Something to add to this...

The amp rack is built so that the wiring comes out of each corner, essentially. It provides a path for me to hide some wires that need to "pass thru" that area. I need to run my rca for the sub amp and the deck through there and it would work best to run my power for the eq through there. The wiring will only be near amp power wires for a few inches. It will run right along with the eq power wires, which are pretty low power. My other option on the eq power wires is to run them along the other edge of the compartment where the power wires for the main battery are. Keep in mind, my second battery powering the stereo system is not connected to the electrical system of the engine at all. Wouldn't I run more risk of picking up noise in the eq by running it's power wires near the main battery engine wires than I would having it running near the rcas being connected to it?

Default try it and see.

Only way to know for sure is try it. The best way for me to check for noise was to turn my ballast pumps on for a few sec.. Must have been wired and grounded on the drivers acc panel. You asked and interesting question about shielding. When I was temp wireing my setup I could pick up ac noise thru the vacum cleaner wire laying accross the rcas.Should have tried foil and other thigs to see if they could be insulated from noise. Like to know the answer to that

By the way...sneak peek at the amp rack so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice start, Okie.

Also, not to jump in on you, but what about picking up noise on the speaker wires? I should have options available to separate power & signal wires when the time comes, but ran my rear cabin speaker wires along side all the new wires to the transom when I prewired the top cap.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Don't know. I haven't had problems before, and many of the speaker wires are running somewhat near certain power wires.