Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DIY Tower Speaker Questions

I posted this over at WakeWorld, but I'm starting to feel like that board is increasingly dominated by people propping up their own brands/dealers/agendas and less so with people that actually research, purchase, build, buy and use these products. Thoughts appreciated!!

I picked up the Kicker 6500.2 HLCDs w/ the additional 6500 midbass drivers (I found them for CRAZY CHEAP as soon as I have them in my hand, I'll be sure to let this board know where to get them.) Now I need to find cans that are suitable. I had a few questions for anyone that has experience (or done research) on building a DIY tower setup --

1) It looks like the most economical cans are all raw aluminum. My boat lives outside. I'm not worried about trailering but will raw aluminum hold up without constant maintenance or would I have to take those cans and get them clear anodized?

2) Binding posts vs. wire through the clamps. Anyone have any opinions? Obviously wiring through the clamps looks the cleanest, but I'm not sure how hard it's going to be to feed 6 sets of wire through?

3) I think I've checked with almost every tower and/or tower speaker manufacturer out there. So far the only ones I've found that sell unloaded cans are DIYWake, BulletLines, H2OPro Accessories (which don't fit the Kickers), and Menace Watersports. Right now I'm leaning towards the Menace but those are the most expensive ones and I'm going to have to open the wallet a little wider to get them. Anyone know any other sources??
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Another question to throw into the mix...

What about a fiberglass molded enclosure?

I checked out Kicker's product...looks pretty good.

Good point... I'd also consider fiberglass pods (Haven't found a premade batbox that is 4x6)

What about searching for used roswell cans and/or speaker/lightbar combo that someone has ditched?
    2006 Supra 24SSV

How hard is it to make a fiberglass box?

I'd love to find a used roswell setup but haven't found anything, yet.

A fiberglass box isn't that hard to make -- my old box was a DIY fiberglass job. The problem is that my boat lives outside and after 6 years the MDF in it finally gave up and rotted away. Plus -- I think pods just look better right now!

Speakers showed up yesterday. For anyone interested, vminnovations.com has the kicker HLCDs for $228. This is HALF the price of anywhere else (including ebay.) They also have the extra set of midbass drivers for $119. Finally -- they have this (http://www.vminnovations.com/product...ers-Pair-.html) That is actually 2 SETS of the 6500.2. That means 4 horns and 4 midbass drivers. It seems crazy because nobody else sells these at a discount (and I'm sure it's a pricing mistake) but I called and questioned it, they confirmed it was accurate, I ordered them and they were delivered so.... If you have a set of roswell cans this would be a HUGE upgrade.

Coupon code HOLIDAY8 gets you free shipping and another 8% off. UNBELIEVABLE!

Try sending ssmith a pm. I know he had one for sale at one point. A roswelll speaker setup that is.

Nice find on the speakers!
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Wow...nice find indeed.

I've gotten quite a bit of stuff from HiFi Sound Connection. I was browsing their site a few minutes ago and found this...

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046