Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by asmodeus2112 View Post
    I'm looking for a Sunsport of similar vintage to yours. Do you have original stringers? Can you help us searching with a little wisdom about what part of the boat to be extra critical when examining etc.?
    Thanks for the compliment. The stringers in mine are original and seem to be very solid (keeping my fingers crossed). Fortunately the PO kept it on a lift since purchased new. Obviously the floor and the stringers on wood boats are the biggest concerns to look for when shopping for these older boats. Another thing to really watch is any patches or repairs in the fiberglass. Mine had one very small surface repair done to it but it is on the top cap so it had very minimal impact on my purchasing decision. Another thing to consider is looking at how the seller keeps up his other belongings. for example... his home, other toys, vehicles, landscaping... Just their general cleanliness and maintenance habits. Thats just a personal thing I always look for to give me some extra confidence in how the boat, or whatever I am looking at buying, was probably maintained. Of course paperwork, receipts, and log books are good too. When I was shopping, I was really hoping to find one with fiberglass/composite stringers but they just weren't out there or they were priced out of my range. Check for any mis-matched screws or bolts anywhere as that is usually a sure sign of a repair (especially around the swim platform and the prop strut). The tightness of the motor mount bolts can give you an idea of the condition of the stringers. Also I would personally advise to look for one as original as possible. Accessories are nice but I know what accessories I want and would prefer a blank canvas boat that has not been tampered with. Less chance of me having to fix something that someone else has screwed up. But that's just my $.02. I looked for almost a year before finding this one and upon seeing and test driving it, I knew it was time to pull the trigger. Though I did have to compromise as it was not the cheapest and it did not come with a trailer. But in the end I think it was worth it. Just be patient if your heart is set on one of the older boats. You will find what you are looking for eventually and you will be very happy with it. Not sure what else I am leaving out but feel free to ask any other questions and I will do my best to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by whelchel86 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. The stringers in mine are original and seem to be very solid (keeping my fingers crossed)....
    Thanks for the info. I'm pretty patient, but need to make a buy in the next 2-3 weeks. We're going to spend a month on a lake in WI during mid July to Mid August, so I want to get the boat in the water a few times locally to make sure it's ready for the month...

Most of all be patient and buy the perfect boat. If you don't you will find yourself shopping again!!! NTM we all know how boats are great investments..... LOL

I found a composite Mariah here in Canada but finding myself still searching for the all illusive clean and original Sunsport!!!

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by DAFF View Post
    I found a composite Mariah here in Canada but finding myself still searching for the all illusive clean and original Sunsport!!!
    Good luck with that one, haha. It won't be in Canada if you find it!