Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default sunsport vs mariah ?'S

Help- We've been looking for Sunsports because wife REALLY likes the freeboard and the overall depth. My son likes wakeboarding, wife likes skiing and wants to surf. We have found both 95 Mariah and 95 Sunsport....
    Can anyone give me reasons to support/buy Mariah OVER Sunsport?
    I know Mariah has less freeboard and may not make as much wake(therefore make surfing harder)
    I know you guys have experience with BOTH and I need some insight.
    Thanks!!

You pretty much have it correct. The Sunsport will have higher freeboard which will be a benefit for wakeboarding and surfing.

Sunsport, hands down.

Mariah is a nice boat too. It has a slightly different seating configuration but otherwise the top deck of the boat is the same. The bottom of the hull is not as shallow as the Comp, but not as deep as the SunSport.

They are great if you are a slalom skier with a family, or a crossover family where someone (like dad) really likes to slalom ski but the kids want to tube and wakeboard (but really dont need quite as big of a wake).

If possible you are really chasing the SunSport. The Saltaire is a good choice too since it has the 454 which is really better suited to pulling ballast long-term.
    --WakeMikeys 1987 Supra SunSport--
    Thread - https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=3630
    Photo Gallery - http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showga.../35518/cat/500
    Videos - http://www.vimeo.com/user2034462/videos
    Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

I have the Mariah, and Mikey summed it up very well- I wish I had a Sunsport!

I am also looking at a sunsport 91 is this a good ski boat or will the wake be better suited for wake boarding? We have been using a I/O type boat and considering buying a used ski boat but also wanting to have a boat to pleasure cruise in as well. Any advise?

yes, you cant go wrong with the price and functionality of the sunsport as your first direct drive. Once your in something like this you will wonder how the IO builders are making any sales any more

+1 on the Sunsport. I bought mine October 2010 and LOVE it so far. Still haven't gotten a chance to ride behind it but I am sure it will live up to the hype when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by whelchel86 View Post
    +1 on the Sunsport. I bought mine October 2010 and LOVE it so far. Still haven't gotten a chance to ride behind it but I am sure it will live up to the hype when I do.
    Well, who wouldn't love your beautiful Sunsport? I love that Red. Wish more of them had nice colors, I'm tired of these aqua, or orangy brown reds...

Quote Originally Posted by whelchel86 View Post
    I'm looking for a Sunsport of similar vintage to yours. Do you have original stringers? Can you help us searching with a little wisdom about what part of the boat to be extra critical when examining etc.?