Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The '92 I/O isn't my boat. Mine is an '89 Saltare. I wouldn't sweat leaving the Saltare in the water for long periods. It sits outside as I don't have the money for inside storage and it's too big for my garage. Eventually I may try to do build something to keep it more protected from the elements but such is life. Considering I don't have the money for inside storage, you can imagine that owning a boat is a huge expense for me. But at the end of the day it's still just a boat.

It's the memories I make while I'm on the water with friends and family that matter, not obsessing over every detail of my boat. When I trailer to the river there's a lot of work involved... On top of 6-10 hours on the water of mostly riding. There's a few hours of work on the head and tail end to get the boat ready and put it away. I think we all know what's involved and how tedious and time consuming it is. When I go out usually I'm up at 5:00 so everything is ready to go when my friends arrive or to meet at the ramp and ride shortly after sunrise, by the time I'm home and everything is clean and put away it's dark.

It's a lot of work owning a boat if you want it to stay nice. These are the things all the friends who ride don't see or understand, then they moan when you ask for $20 for gas, which doesn't even cover the amount you burned while dragging them around while they rode on your boards wearing your vests... much less cover wear and tear, gas in your truck to get to the water, etc.

At the end of the day it's still just a boat. I may well have mine until I bite the dust. Being fairly young that means in 5-10-20-?? years I'll being doing stringers and floors, and all new upholstery, and engine/trans rebuild, and ... You get the idea. So be it. There's wood in my boat and I know eventually it'll rot. Such is life. Things wear out, and can be rebuilt and restored.

My boat may not be perfect but I think it's in nice condition. I don't sweat leaving it on the water for a few weeks during the summer. I just spent a small fortune (to me anyway) to get a few seats reupholstered and to have s snap cover made. As much as it pains me to have snaps I want it to be easy to keep it protected for those 2-3 weeks a year it stays in the water. At the end of the day I don't obsess over my boat, I obsess over the next time I can get out on the water and ride with my friends, even if the water's under 50* and the air is chilly.

In any event...

For reference since you were wondering... This is the I/O that spends at least 5 months of the year in the water since it was new. Just a thorough cleaning on the bottom once a year when it's pulled out. It's not in the greatest condition, but that's mostly since it's sort of the family bicycle... Everyone uses it when they stay at the lake house, except me since i have my own boat.

Close to wrapping up bringing back what's left of the black on my 89 Saltare after many years of obvious neglect. The dark colors really take a beating if left outside.

After all this work trying to restore the color, no way would I leave a black boat out in the elements. Heck, I may not ever take it out of the garage again. JK.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said!
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

pardon the pun but "whatever floats ur boat"
    Some guys like fat chicks, I don't. To each their own!!
    2007 Moomba Outback
    Why Not? Play Hard! Get WET.....

agree completely do whatever you want but when you think of whats best for your boat in the end i would never do it.

Smile

Cad
    You make a good point about making memories. A lot of the work and cost of maintaining a boat can be avoided . You must understand sun and water are not your friend. keeping the boat dry, shaded, waxed and 303ed are the best way to keep it up. I understand about being short on money but what you dont spend on upkeep will bite you in the end. My Sunsport is 22 years new and still has the original floor,stringers and interior there are no signs of problems except the foam in the lower back seat is starting to flatten out from age.
    I guess what I'm saying is its easier to maintain than rebuild and cheaper too. To me spending a rainy day detailing my boats is more like therapy than work. At the end of the day I'm glad to see you out boating in whatever boat you have we are all making memories.

an update..i went and checked out the marina the spots are 20 feet across and they are fitting 2 boats in there...i have decided id rather be the first one to scratch my new 21v then the guy trying to fit in his 83 bayliner beside me

slimy grimy if your leaving your boat in the water , search it on you tube, works just like on the video
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I dunno how I really feel on this.. Ive got a boat slip and always kept my boat on it until I rebuild my supra.. Last year I left IT on the dock for a month... and even then I was always thinking about it..

My main reasons for not docking is... the electrods in the water eat the aluminum parts.. example would be the wake plate.. or swim deck plateform..

Water lines wash right off with slimy grimy so that was never a big deal..

Definitly get a good cover and water proof it with scotchguard for peace of mind