Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What happened to this engine?

This is a '94, but it looks terrible. Do you think this is normal for a 17 year old boat that was just not loved, or do you think something more happened?

Is there anything mechanically wrong with it? If it's just dirty then its nothing new hoses/wires, sand paper and a few cans of spray paint can't fix.

I have the tendency of wiping down my engine before and after I take it for a spin just so I can try to keep it nice and shiny but everyone thinks I'm weird for doing that...I think its pretty normal for an engine to show signs of age if nothing is changed out or if its ever wiped down.

Quote Originally Posted by duckseatfree View Post
    Is there anything mechanically wrong with it? If it's just dirty then its nothing new hoses/wires, sand paper and a few cans of spray paint can't fix.

I have the tendency of wiping down my engine before and after I take it for a spin just so I can try to keep it nice and shiny but everyone thinks I'm weird for doing that...I think its pretty normal for an engine to show signs of age if nothing is changed out or if its ever wiped down.
    It's too far away to for me to see, so I'm trying to assess via photos. Owner claims they service it and run it every year. I can understand the upholstery getting sun faded, cracked etc., but usually the motor doesn't look as weathered as the outside. They certainly get worn, but it looks like a lot of dirt and gunk is everywhere, not just at points that could get a bit of oil spilled, heat changes etc. One person thinks maybe it was submerged, but I think that is probably too extreme.

I think it has more to do with how and where you store it. Mine has only been touched up once about 6 years ago when I rebuilt the carb. The intake was repainted in the center where the exhaust port runs through it and I touched up the valve cover lettering.

Personally, I don't think it looks too bad...I've seen some that look worse and still work very well. The engine is something you CAN NOT just judge by a picture, there are sooooo many components that make it work effectively and so many things to look for. I could show you a picture of a brand new engine but at the same time has water in the oil....Not good. Its also something you can't just take someone's word for.

Are you looking at this because your thinking of buying?

judging by the amount of water that is in the boat and how dirty that motor is i would'nt touch it. boats has obviously not been taken care of and abused

Quote Originally Posted by jsandy View Post
    judging by the amount of water that is in the boat and how dirty that motor is i would'nt touch it. boats has obviously not been taken care of and abused
    Unless you want a project boat, lol. My opinion is, if the engine is in good condition and there aren't any major issues and the price is right...why not. I think being able to add your own personal touch to your boat gives it something extra.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm thinking of buying, but it's unfortunately to far away to see easily, but close enough to consider. I like the idea of composite stringers, my worst fear of buying a boat in the 7k range is to end up with rot.

Yea, composite stringers are nice. My thought...if the engine runs well with no problems and no damage to the hull...7k is a good price.

A shot of the interior. I'm sorry, but if someone can't even clean up the boat a little bit before taking pics when putting it up for sale...

I think I'm going to pass.