Default DIY Partial Boat Wrap - Thoughts?

Alright guys,

As many of you know I am amidst a rebuild on a 85 Sunsport, and as the progress goes on it seems to be sucking a good chunk out of my wallet.
    Thus why I am considering a DIY wrap on the boat. I was originally going to re-paint it, as it has had what looks like 2 other paint jobs before I purchased. As time and money get tighter the wrap seems like the best option. (for now at least).

I am looking to do the bottom 1/2 of my boat (basically rub rail to the edge of the bottom of the boat. If that makes sense?) Aprox 30 inches wide, around the whole boat.

I went and checked with out local vinyl supply shoo, who quoted me $14/yard x 30 inches. This was based on their "premium cast" vinyl, which i was told is likely the only thing that will hold up in the marine environment. So I guessing aprox 25ft per side - 50ft for the boat or 17 yards aprox. So about $240 before tax. The price seems decent if I can get 2-3 seasons out of it and possible more if I take car of it?

Ok, so what does everyone think? Is this a viable solution for me? Or am I asking for trouble?

The last thing I want is for this to peel off after a few times out on the water and be left with the poor finish that I currently have and at that point down another $250.

I guess what I am mostly wondering about is how to prep the surface, as mentioned the boat has been painted more than once, and even has a layer of anti-fouling about 1/3 up the side of the boat. I defiantly plan on taking it down to at least the last layer of paint.

Does anybody work in the industry and con offer me any tips? I have searched and watcher a few youtube vids, although it does seem like a bit of an intensive process I think I can make something work.

See the poor quality cell phone/ms paint photo's to get an idea what I'm thinking.

What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    85 SunSport - "Under Construction"

I'm leaning the same way...

Check these places (been looking at that carbon fiber vinyl...mmmm)

http://www.metrorestyling.com/

http://www.carsticka.com/

Really? No one out there has any experience with this?

Am I going to have guinea pig this one and hope for the best? lol

Anyone? Beuller?
    85 SunSport - "Under Construction"