Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Summer drought....no water

Whilst most of you folks in the Northern hemisphere have been shivering through your winter, we here in Australia have been enduring some of the worst conditions mother nature can throw at us.

The Eastern coast-line of Australia has suffered massive flooding from cyclones and torrential rains, but where I live on the West coast, we have suffered from years of drought.

To say the drought conditions are affecting our boating and boarding areas and waterways would be putting it mildly. Every dam and lake where I used to go boarding has now dried up to just puddles. All areas are obviously closed to boating due to safety reasons.

My boat is now just sitting in the garage gathering cobwebs..

Here is a couple of pics of Waroona dam showing what the level used to be like, and how it has dropped down over the last few years to be nothing more than a puddle in the middle of a dust bowl now.
    Last edited by doofus; 04-25-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Didn't get the pic doofus. I would love to give you some of our rain - somewhere around 7 or 8 inches in West Virginia just in the month of April. Our rivers are so flooded that it will probably take 6 weeks for them to get cleared of mud, trees, picnic tables, barrels, etc.
    Sorry about your drought man, that's serious business . . .
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

For some stupid reason I cant seem to load pics either directly or by url link from my home pc...will have to do it from my work pc when I head back to work in a few days time

Thats a bummer, hopefully rain will be coming your way... hopefully its not a sign of global warming. We had a pretty dry year in Nor-cal in 2007, the lakes were starting to get pretty low. This year we are 4" over normal.

Can you tow your boat to the east side and keep it stored over there to use?
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Everything goes in cycles. My lake was 22 feet below full just 3 years ago and now it is 1 foot above full. It's one thing to have your boat stuck in the garage, it's a little worse when your entire dock is sitting on dry land.

Hopefully your cycle is coming around soon!

Ok, let's try these pics again...First is is the dam a few years ago, and the second one is last year. Third and fourth pics are the dam as it is now!!!
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Hard to think that was once a lake. I hope the fall brings lots of precip to your region.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Wow, that really sucks... when was the last time that lake has been dry? Hopefully this is not a sign of global warming (if you believe in it). You could always buy a quad or dirtbike... at least you could be in the lake doing something
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

That's insane. We've had rain almost every day for a couple weeks. I've been sick of it, just lots of rain and high winds. Not great when I'm trying to get the boat out. But at least I still have a body of water to ride in.

Hopefully things swing back. Has that reservoir ever been that low before?

Doofus, my brother is a 10 year yank transplant and lives in Western Australia. He tells me it's brutal there, feel for you.
    '07 Moomba Mobius LSV