Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Strainer mounting ideas

I'm installing a raw water strainer in line between the pickup and the transmission cooler. I purchased a 1" Sherwood strainer from skidim, and now I'm considering ideas for mounting the unit. Anyone got a good idea or pics? My boat never had a strainer installed before.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHE18005
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Shut off valve, strainer, hose hook up and oil cooler pretty simple.

Isn't it a little difficult to empty the strainer with it being that close to the floor? My configuration is different than yours - I'll post pics when I can. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea for a mounting bracket for the strainer other than using the plumbing to hold it in place. I do like the idea of a valve before the strainer so you can empty the strainer with the boat in the water if necessary.

Another thing I notice in your pic is the very short distance between your PSS seal and prop shaft flanges. Mine is much longer than that. Which model boat do you have?
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    Isn't it a little difficult to empty the strainer with it being that close to the floor? My configuration is different than yours - I'll post pics when I can. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea for a mounting bracket for the strainer other than using the plumbing to hold it in place. I do like the idea of a valve before the strainer so you can empty the strainer with the boat in the water if necessary.

Another thing I notice in your pic is the very short distance between your PSS seal and prop shaft flanges. Mine is much longer than that. Which model boat do you have?
    No it is very easy to unscrew and lower down with plenty of room to spare and clean. Yes it is a short distance and it makes it more difficult to install the seal. 89 Sunsport, don't really know how to change it.

Pretty much the same as Oldman's but mine is v-drive with a whole lot less access room. It is on the port side between the transmission and the intake.
    No bracket support.

I use one of these to loosen the container to empty out and I do it after winterizing the boat so it doesn't freeze and crack. (I haven't noticed much debris in it, but that is a good thing).
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Mines installed just in place with the intake hoses holding it. Easy access and easy to pull and clean the screen while on the water as it's located higher up and no need for shut off valve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Moomba Outback
    Why Not? Play Hard! Get WET.....

I hadn't thought of that, but I guess as long as the filter is mounted above the water line, there is no need for a shutoff.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Mine is above the water line, but what's holding is up is the transmission filter, and it is surprisingly sturdy at that. It will barely move even with me pushing on it, eventhough it isn't hard mounted to anything.

I had to pull the strainer off out on the lake, once. Just make sure you keep the intake hose over the waterline.

Finished up installing the strainer and hoses last night. I think I got it just high enough to be above the water line and just low enough to clear the storage compartment in the aft part of the motor cover.

Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Looks good...I like the placement.