Default dumping the Holley for Edelbrock

I've read that people like Edelbrock carbs more than Holley, much easier to work on and have fewer parts. So, my Holley needs to be rebuilt but I'm just thinking of scrapping it and going with an Edelbrock for a few $'s more.

Edelbrock marine.... http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...mp;prmenbr=361

Anyone tried this? Have luck or pain in the butt?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Default Replying to Topic 'dumping the Holley for Edelbrock'

I haven't done this myself, but on other boating forum many people have talked about doing this and how much better the engine runs. You do away with the power piston problems & front bowl leaks - have better control of mixtures. Had I not traded my last carbed boat in - I was planning on this same route.
    ~S~

Originally posted by Salty87

I've read that people like Edelbrock carbs more than Holley, much easier to work on and have fewer parts. So, my Holley needs to be rebuilt but I'm just thinking of scrapping it and going with an Edelbrock for a few $'s more.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

I'm in the same situation as you. My Holley needs replaced (been rebuilt enough in its life) and I found a great price on a new 4160 marine carb, but now you have me thinking. The best price I was able to find on on a replacement Holley is $376, and this Eddelbrock carb is less than $300.

Decisions, decisions....

Originally posted by Salty87

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

I'm in the same situation as you. My Holley needs replaced (been rebuilt enough in its life) and I found a great price on a new 4160 marine carb, but now you have me thinking. The best price I was able to find on on a replacement Holley is $376, and this Eddelbrock carb is less than $300.

Decisions, decisions....

I changed over to the Edelbrock carb two years age on my Bravura. While I was at it I upgraded the ignition with a MSD pro billet distibutor and a Crane Hi6 ignition. I would highly recommend both. My boat has never run better. The Edelbrock carb is very easy to tune.It idles much smoother, responds quicker and have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage.

I changed over to the Edelbrock carb two years age on my Bravura. While I was at it I upgraded the ignition with a MSD pro billet distibutor and a Crane Hi6 ignition. I would highly recommend both. My boat has never run better. The Edelbrock carb is very easy to tune.It idles much smoother, responds quicker and have noticed a slight increase in fuel mileage.

i'm just about done, have a little more tweaking and might have to do something about PCV port...there isn't one on the edlebrock.

it took less than an hour from start to (almost) finished.

pics:

old stuff

new and improved:

i've taken it out once so far it ran great. i'll hopefully save a bunch on gas, my holley had never been rebuilt.

Way to go Kevin! That ought to make a huge difference. I sold my 87. I was really sad to see it go, but got the engine rebuilt and going strong before I sold it. I gave a guy in Spring on the north side a good deal on it.

Pics of my 95 Nautique can be seen at http://photos.yahoo.com/davimbridges

Thanks for all your help on my boat.
    Mullet-free since 93

Hi David,

I saw that you picked up a Nautique, I think I've seen pics (that link said not available to me). Congratulations! I looked at some used Nautiques before I bought my Saltare. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I can't believe you got your Saltare fixed up so good to sell it. Your buyer was very fortunate.

So, what's it like moving to a smaller boat? I think I'm going to run my Saltare to the very end.

Kevin