Thread: SSV vs 21V

Default SSV vs 21V

Hey guys,
    I'm curious to hear opinions and comparisons of a 20' SSV with a 21V (2005-2007). I was in contract with a guy to buy his '05 21V, when he bailed last minute, so back to the drawing board.

How does the wake of a 20 SSV compare to the 21V? Does the SSV have a ski locker up front for a ballast bag, or would I have to put it in the walkway?

I've seen some good deals on SSV's, so just looking for a little info.

Thanks!

By looking at the manuals, it looks like the main difference is the 95" vs 100" beam, Playpen bow vs walk through (which will limit the size of the bag you can use), and rated for 13 ppl vs 10. Oh, and a skosh more room in the main cockpit along with the integrated hand rails and cup holders in the bow. http://www.supraboats.com/library/do...wners_2007.pdf
    2005 22 SSV GG

If you wakeboard alot I think you will find the 21v wake to be substantially better. I have ridden behind an 05 21v and an 06 20ssv and the wakes arent even comparable. I actually like the wake on my buddies 21v more than I do my 24, at least for wakeboarding.

Dusty had a 20ssv and the surf wake was solid when sacked out. I have only seen pics of the surf wake behind the 21v so can't really comment there.

If you care alot about looks, they are two completely different looks sitting in the water. The 21v sits much higher where the 20ssv is more low profile.

I enjoy so pics so here is a comparison ....

2006 Supra 24SSV

Going off of looks, I definitely prefer the 21V. I like how high it sits in the water. Coming from an older direct drive, where I always had to worry about swamping the thing when sacked out, the height is a big selling point.

Biggest thing I'm concerned about is the wake. Hearing that the 21V is better for wakeboarding confirms what I was already thinking. I want something that will boot me!

Thanks

all I can say is my 21v sucks for slalom at 32mph
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Having been behind both and I think there's a huge difference between the two wakes, I'm a bigger fan of the 21v personally.
    2005 Supra Launch 24SSV

If memory serves, the freeboard is also a lot lower on the 20v. I am sure the 20v will be more nimble, but it won't compare for wakeboarding. And, I agree, the 21v is not make for slalom skiing.