Default What kind of wood for center engine cover riser/base?

I need to replace my engine cover riser/base (center engine...once your engine cover is closed - this frame that the cover rests on) and was looking for input on:
    1) what kind of wood would work out best for this?
    2) should I treat this wood with something before carpeting? If so, with what?
    3) I will be re carpeting this once completed, what companies can you recommend to me?

Thanks for you help.

i am in the process of building a new one also. i'm just using marine grade lumber from lowes. a 1x6 is perfect

Quote Originally Posted by jsandy View Post
    i am in the process of building a new one also. i'm just using marine grade lumber from lowes. a 1x6 is perfect
    Agree...also, a while back I saw someone posted the but angles for the base...you have to get it just right...I would do a search for it.

Yep, just use 1 x 6 and it should work. I would coat it well with a epoxy sealer like CPES or mabe even paint it. You could glass it, if you wanted, also.

Excellent. I will pick some up this week in lue of this weekend. Hope that it comes in 8" width, my current one is 6.5" high. We took the carpeting off very carefully (that took 2 hours) to keep the riser integrity in tack. Angles: no problem....I got Dad who LOVES angles. Thanks for the info.

make sure it's tall enough< I know another Conbrio owner who's original was to rotted to measure from and made his a little short! Then he made it again
    Carpet that thing your self >>>> pretty easy with staple gun and a knife.....Depending on you carpet's color now, you may be in line for Lowes Grey vinyl backed outdoor carpet, cheap and cheerful....
    And I'd trust most of these guys for advise (they've all got tons of exp.), but 1X6???? try again on your Connie, I used 2X and I believe I ripped down 2 X 8's, the sixes weren't tall enough.....
    90 Conbrio