Default 07 Supra Dual Battery Option VSR Switch Question

I have a question on my 07 Supra 21v with the Dual Battery Option that has the Voltage Sensitive Relay, VSR, with the Switch that has positions 1, both, and 2. Because of the position of the two batteries the 2 big Red Cables are attached to batteries opposite how the Cables are labled.

All the accessories are wired to one battery along with the big Red cable labeled "Engine Battery +" from the Left side of the VSR. The Big Black cable hooked to that battery is labled "Accessory Battery -".

The Red cable from the Right side VSR goes to my other battery and it is labeled "Accessory Battery +". There are 2 black cables attached to that Battery that are labeled "Engine Battery -".

The way the batteries are positioned I can't switch the Red Cables or switch the Black Cables without repositioning the battery boxes. I have run this way ever since I have had the boat.

I believe that to protect the Engine Starting Battery I should run in Position 2 of the switch not Position 1 like the manual says because of the way the Red Cables are attached to the Batteries. Or in other words does the VSR switch Arrow point at the Red Cable for the Battery you want to protect?
    Last edited by mikebu; 05-14-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: clarify title

Quote Originally Posted by mikebu View Post
    Because of the position of the two batteries the 2 big Red Cables are attached to batteries opposite how the Cables are labled.

All the accessories are wired to one battery along with the big Red cable labeled "Engine Battery +" from the Left side of the VSR. The Big Black cable hooked to that battery is labled "Accessory Battery -".

The Red cable from the Right side VSR goes to my other battery and it is labeled "Accessory Battery +". There are 2 black cables attached to that Battery that are labeled "Engine Battery -".

The way the batteries are positioned I can't switch the Red Cables or switch the Black Cables without repositioning the battery boxes. I have run this way ever since I have had the boat.

I believe that to protect the Engine Starting Battery I should run in Position 2 of the switch not Position 1 like the manual says because of the way the Red Cables are attached to the Batteries. Or in other words does the VSR switch Arrow point at the Red Cable for the Battery you want to protect?
    Ok , which ever battery has just the one + red cable from your switch is your engine cable and this is what the switch should be set to. It does not matter at all about the negatives as they are all wired together. Everything else should be on your other battery and the wire from your switch in your case should be from #1

Last edited by docdrs; 05-15-2011 at 12:17 AM.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

In my case the Red wire from Switch Position 1 goes to what I thought was my Accessory battery along with 2 other + cables that are for Accessories along with some other - cables.

The Red wire from Switch Position 2 goes to my other battery along with a - cable back to the engine and another - cable to the other - battery connector. There are no other cables/wires on this battery.

Should I move all the other + cables except for the Switch Position 1 + red cable to the other battery? Sounds like everything now is drawing off one battery...

Thanks

I guess I was not clear, sorry. Answer to your first question is yes. And I believe you could switch all your accessories to the other battery 2 and then your 1 cable would be your engine cable as listed. The key is to just have one big red + going to a battery and just that as your engine batter with switch set to it, then all other red + wires on the other battery. Then your engine battery will always be the first one charged
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Whoever wired your boat did not have a clue as to USCG or NMMA regulations. You have way to many wires connected to your stud terminal. Max alowable is three different connectors. Plus your selector switch will not turn off power to the items which are connected to the individual wires. A terminal buss needs to be installed with a cable leading to the selector switch. The voltage relay switches to charge #2 position only when voltage drops to 11 volts. I suggest having your charging system rewired according to NMMA codes. Good luck Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor