Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default May have ruined my engine! any ideas?

we were out skiing today boat was running fine and temp gauge was normal. stopped to switch skiiers and boat would not start checked numerous things still could not get it to turn over. pulled the dipstick and found water in my oil. when we pulled the boat out of the water i noticed my exhaust flappers were missing.

I think when we through it in reverse water traveled through my exhaust into the oil (dont know if that is possible)

any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Need to know some more info. What year is your boat, what engine, how many hours, has the engine been takin care of? How much over-full was the oil on the dipstick and what did it look like?

Very unlikely. Reversion can hydrolock an engine but unless you crack a piston, break a ring land, etc. you're not getting any water in the oil. Even then, it would be a very small amount. Not likely to make a milkshake out of your oil.

Was this your first time out on the water this season? If so, you sure it was winterized properly? Could be cracked block or heads. Also could be a blown head gasket.

this is the third time we have had the boat out this year. its an 89 saltare with 300 hours just bought the boat this year and the motor is a litttle dirty but seems to be in good condition the interior is in great condition and it seems like they took pretty good care of her.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    you sure it was winterized properly? Could be cracked block or heads. Also could be a blown head gasket.
    +1 on winterizing, good place to start - a tiny crack somewhere, or blown gasket, could cause slow water intrusion into the oil. Has it been overheated recently?
    1989 Bravura - repowered with 2001 PCM 351 GT-40 - 1.23:1 PCM Trans.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

it hasnt overheated since we have had it and if i remember correctly ran at about 140-150 degrees
    Last edited by supracalifragilistic; 05-21-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Everyone is on the right track- I don't think you could force water into that Saltare thru the exhaust- possible, but not likely. Start by changing the oil- then run it, in or out of the water. If you have a leak, or bad gasket somewhere it will be obvious. Water will be squirting out of the motor. Make sure to have a mirror handy to look under the motor while it is running. Good luck and hope this helps.

If you're lucky it's a head gasket. If you're unlucky, it's a cracked block. I've been through it. Good luck!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Note it could also be an intake gasket. Only places a failed gasket can result in water in the coolant is head and intake. Possibly timing cover on a SBF, but that's very unlikely.

thank you for the help.I am gratefull for your guys advice. I sucked most of the oil out today (does anyone have an easy way to do this on a saltare while the oil is cold?) I am going to get some new oil in there tomorrow i have been told to pour some diesel in there to help lubricate it(good or bad idea?) also planning on doing a compression test on it tomorrow but want to make sure the oil thats in there is good first.