Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    good points. I do worry about getting a smooth pan, that's the big unknown! Rust no problem though, if I do it I'll have it powder coated after I test it.
    I am working on a mount for the GoPro that will sit on top of the tower mount or on the skipole mount and as the rope turns the nylon piece it will turn the mount... auto pan style!

Go with the GP3 black edition. Its ability to have higher frame rates and built in wifi is worth the cost.

I'm not a fan of tower mounts unless your trying to capture stuff for instruction. For entertainment you loose to much detail even with the narrow settings. I prefer it attached to a monopod.

The link is with a gp2 on monopod. Since it was taken I have added wifi with remote and smartphone link. This decreases video clipping and camera setting changing time dramatically. I would highly recommend wifi and remote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFWQ...e_gdata_player
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

The higher frame rates allow for ultra smooth slow motion editing which trust me you will start to mess with. Keep in mind that you will need a capable computer to deal with anything beyond watching the videos (if you have a smart tv).

I use Adobe Premier league Elements 11. You can download it for free with a limited time use. I bought my version for 70 bucks.

Hope that helps.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Here is a newer vid 1080p 30 frames a sec. you can see in the second set when I zoom in and follow the rider it is pretty cool how you can change it... the raw version looks way better then the face book version!

BTW the go pro is suction cup mounted to the rear view mirror! if I move it back it would be a better vid and I wasn't talking about frame rates it the higher resolutions that allow you to zoom in and loose less detail not the higher frame rates.
    Last edited by Sirgonz; 05-12-2013 at 07:08 PM.

While I have a lot of friends that use GoPro's, I am a big fan of the Contour cams... www.contour.com they make some models that are inherently waterproof, mine I had to buy a waterproof case for about $30.

I have the Contour GPS, and that actually tracks speed and elevation. Not as important in water sports, but I use it on my sportbike, my M3, and mounted to my helmet while snowboarding. The profile of the contour makes it WAY better as a helmet cam. I see people with gopro's attatched to their helmet and I can't help but think of that "whack-a-mole" game. If I had a cam sticking up off my helmet like that, it'd be gone with my first close call with a tree branch or crash on the slopes.

Now, gopro's are great for being waterproof as well as they have an amazing ability to filter wind noise. However, while Contours aren't as good at filtering wind noise they do have better overall sound quality to their videos. They also don't have that wide angle fish eye look that the go-pro's have. they don't have a viewfinder, but have lasers that are used for aiming. Mine also has an app where you can use your smartphone as a viewfinder to see what it's going to look like when you record as well as the ability to change settings.

Most my videos are car/motorcycle/snowboard, so I don't really have anything boating to contribute yet.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I am trying to offer a better vantage point for the GoPro since l agree with most that the tower mount is good but there could be better. You can see some of the footage from tests here. It came a long way and will get tuned up some more. If your interested on being an early adopter message me.