Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What video camera?

I've looked at gopro videos, but they seem designed for mounting on the person or very close. I would like to mount a camera to my wakeboard tower (2009 21V) and get video of us as we wakesurf, wakeboard and ski/tube whatever.

Is the gopro camera system good for this too? It seems too wide angle for that.

Any other recommendations?

(our goal is to get home and laugh at ourselves and then later make a family video of the fun we've had. We're beginners).

Oh - and if you use a gopro and mount it to the boat, what mounting attachment and where?

I see alot of people using to gopro. It does a great job. I just went with the kodak play sport. I dont mount it though. We just sit on the engine box and hold it. I like it because you can watch on the tv at 1/32 slow mo. It produces good laughs after the day at the lake. I also use it to print pictures of us at the maxium height of the jump or trick. I am going to get a gopro to have them both.
    88 Supra Comp ts6m

GoPro is too wide to mount on the tower. I only use mine when it's mounted very close or for POV shots.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    GoPro is too wide to mount on the tower. I only use mine when it's mounted very close or for POV shots.
    What do you mean by "too wide"? You mean wide angle lens to see the person well (they become tiny)? Too fish eye?

Also dont you want wide angle to get the full view of a pass accross a wake? Outside the wake landing?

If not GoPro what else is out there that will attach to a roll bar?
    Last edited by supramariah#1; 05-25-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supramariah#1 View Post
    What do you mean by "too wide"? You mean wide angle lens to see the person well (they become tiny)? Too fish eye?

Also dont you want wide angle to get the full view of a pass accross a wake? Outside the wake landing?

If not GoPro what else is out there that will attach to a roll bar?
    Yes, the wide angle lens will make the person look tiny. I just tried to find a youtube example and can't find 1-video that was taken with a gopro from the boat. They are all from helmet, board or rope mounted vantage points.

This is a good idea of what the rider will look like. Notice how small the boat appears in this shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_5xuAOO2xo

Will it work? Yes. Will it look good? No.

The easiest solution is to use a regular HD camcorder on a tower mount that tracks the rider. Air Trakker used to make these (not sure if they're still around.) Here's a good sample video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9th31L9Ys

The best solution, though is to have someone film from a tube just in front of the rider. Don't drop the camera!

that's what I thought - the gopro is designed for up close filming and will be too wide for boat mounted (esp tower) use.

I'd rather not take my normal camcorder - would really like to install something on the tower digital.

Guess I'll keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Harabe1907 View Post
    very successful,thank you...
    Huh?

(this is 10 characters)

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    Huh?

(this is 10 characters)
    He's just trying to spam the link in his signature. Bastages!!

Pap,
    Here goes some capture shots of a video from this weekend. I am up loading some videos to my vimeo, but here is the link to ones already on there.
    These are from my kodak play sport. Just a cheap high quality camera
    Attached Images Attached Images
    88 Supra Comp ts6m

Here you go. This is awesome! I am gonna get a tower and a pylon mount. I have something to ask for for xmas this year!

http://wakevideo.com/Trakker/