Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

That trakker thing does look pretty cool, but a bit pricey. I'd pay for it if I got both the lower and upper mount for that price, but man...

The lower mount also says won't work with supra - not sure if that is all supra or not.
    2009 21V

Well I orded a trakker and a samsung HMX-w200 waterproof camera. The camera is not shipping, but hopefully soon. I'll report back.
    2009 21V

I currently use a PlaySport, which I am pleased with the quality of. 720 60 FPS is great for pulling stills and reviewing video in slow motion. 1080 seems like asking a lot from the little camera in this but the quality is good. Battery life is poor at maybe 2 hours, but you can get batteries cheap online. For $150 I can't complain.

It just sucks that people aren't into taking vids all the time, it's more fun to sit and relax and be in the moment than enjoy it later on video. I prefer to get every run everyone makes (shotgun theory, great shots through pure volume) and sift through the video, because you never know what you'll get. Trakker is one option, Wakejac also looked similar and pretty decent. Both are pricey, and all cam mounts seem similarly priced.

I'm actually thinking about making one of these tracking mounts myself. Doesn't seem too difficult. I could probably make one for $20-$30 or so if I went real cheap. I run an expended pylon with a swiveling bushing the rope goes over... Thinking one of two ways to do it, one would be get a thin clamp and clamp it right to the swiveling part, attach the clamp to some all thread with a 90* bend up, put a nut on it and attach camera on top.

The other way, would be a copy of the Trakker. Clamp goes to pylon with some flat stock bent to a U shape having a plate above the pylon. Have a swiveling part on top which could b done one of two ways. Cheapest would be a piece of flat plate with a greased bushing (either metal or nylon) between the plates, lightly preloaded, and have a wire coming out the front to hold the rope. Alternatively the swivel could be mounted on some small bearings. I could probably make some from an old bike tripple tree I have, so it would ride on roller bearings. Alternatively I could use a straight ball bearing pressed/welded to the U plate and a rod pressed/welded to a shaft coming off the bottom of the top plate.

So I think there are some cheap home made options that wouldn't be too difficult to make. If I ever get bored and find some creativity I might try to make one.

I spent an hour or so trying to think about a way to DIY one of these. I ended up with two concerns: first getting a smooth pan on the camera and second with the money I've spent on my boat, I don't want something ghetto up there looking like crap and especially no chance of any rust issues into the carpet below.

So I figured I'd just bite the bullet and spend the money. I'd love to see a nice DIY come together however.
    2009 21V

good points. I do worry about getting a smooth pan, that's the big unknown! Rust no problem though, if I do it I'll have it powder coated after I test it.

I know this thread is kind of dead but I feel I must lend my 2 cents. I have never used a better camera than my GoPro for this type of stuff. I have mounted to my roommates boat, my board, a pole shooting out behind the boat, a pole going under the water, etc.

I agree with the above. I've mounted the GoPro on my rope about 5 feet in front of me, upside down. There are so many mounting options and you can get really creative. Even better? Have a friend that has one too for multiple angles!

Quote Originally Posted by ruby23m View Post
    I agree with the above. I've mounted the GoPro on my rope about 5 feet in front of me, upside down. There are so many mounting options and you can get really creative. Even better? Have a friend that has one too for multiple angles!
    Or for 3D!

The GOPRO is fun. Get the HD one with the highest resolution. We also use the Kodak Playsport camera. Takes excellent 720P that kicks my gopro footage. Has excellent image stabilization and is waterproof to 3' ( at least in a boat its splash resistant). You can handhold and walk around the boat and image is smooth. Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    I've looked at gopro videos, but they seem designed for mounting on the person or very close. I would like to mount a camera to my wakeboard tower (2009 21V) and get video of us as we wakesurf, wakeboard and ski/tube whatever.

Is the gopro camera system good for this too? It seems too wide angle for that.

Any other recommendations?

(our goal is to get home and laugh at ourselves and then later make a family video of the fun we've had. We're beginners).

Oh - and if you use a gopro and mount it to the boat, what mounting attachment and where?
    I have the newer GoPro Black Edition... as far as the wide angle it can be set to wide/med/or narrow.... And you can record at insane resolutions and edit in close-ups. I have a video of my son tubing in this section but note this wasn't near the highest resolution I am still learning all the tricks

John