Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosting a boat

Default Boosting a boat

Anyone know how many amps one should look for in boosting power if one would like to purchase charger/booster for their saltare?

I don't know, but I had to start mine one time at the dock with a portable booster. It was just an every-day Black-n-Decker (I think) that a guy had with him - worked just fine on my 351.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Who else came in thinking this was going to be about adding a blower to the motor?

Boosting as in battery charger? Boosting as increasing overall amperage from the Alternator?

Ive always wanted to turbo a boat..lol I was excited for a minute

Boosting as in starting a boat that does not have enough battery charge to start...

Ah. We rednecks call that "jumping it off".

If you are wanting a regular charger/jump starter that you plug in at the house. That's easy. Get one with a 2 amp maintainer (trickle) setting, a 10-15 slow charge, and I prefer a 100amp start selection.

That's enough to start any motor at any temperature, unless you're running a >700ci Diesel that's overheated. That will get you a good trickle setting, and a nice overnight charge setting, and a jump start setting.

EDIT: For the record, a 100amp is very high for standard motors, but I have to jump off bobcats, big trucks, large diesels, etc. A 50 amp might be plenty for a normal user.
    Last edited by haugy; 05-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.

When I saw the title I thought of this...

haugy..."jump it off", huh? Interesting. We've always just said jump, like "Can you give my car a jump?"

Yup, jump or boost is the common terminology here.

I've boosted mine off a pretty small boost box. It doesn't really take these engines too much to kick over. They're not high compression and as long as your starter is in good shape they are usually very high-torque.

After the summer where it seemed like I was always dead or needing a jump I upgraded everything. Now (knock on wood) I should never have to worry about needing a jump. 3 batteries, 160amp alternator, 0-gauge wiring, on-board 3-bank charger and isolater.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    3 batteries, 160amp alternator, 0-gauge wiring, on-board 3-bank charger and isolater.
    I like your style. That's how I like to do things. Where did you get your alternator?