Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max RPM

Default Max RPM

Does anyone know the Max RPM of my boat?

Oh and its a 1988 Supra Mariah. 351W. No mods.

I would like to see how close I am to it at WOT. Trying to see if I am gonna get a new prop.

WOT on a 80's model 351W should be about 4400. My 86 Sunsport with the same motor will only get about 4100 with the standard 13x13 prop - pretty sure she runs out of hp before getting to WOT of 4400. I'm going to try a 13x11.5 and see I pick up a few hundred rpm.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

4200 to 4600 on the ol 351 Fords.
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    My '83 351 PCM hits 4500 easily with 20 year old 13 x 13 LH prop.
    At 4500rpm what's your indicated speed?
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

With GPS, I'm right at 39-40 mph. Used it to dial in the NOS Airguides I just put in.
    Good answer, that's what I hoped you would say. Is your transmission 1:1 ratio? If your turning a 13x13 with 1:1 trans your mph should be real close to your speed (i.e. 2000rpm = roughly 20mph and 3500rp = roughly 35mph, of course this can vary with how the boat is loaded/weighted). This rule of thumb has held true for my Sunsport and my friend's Comp with the same driveline - 351W, no modifications, 13x13 prop and 1:1 transmission. I wonder if your 20 year-old prop is worn in a way that makes it spin easier without as much "bite". That would explain the higher rpm and slower speed, unless of course you have a reduction transmission.
    Last edited by csuggs; 05-26-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Daniel - I wonder if it has always run up to 4500. You have the same sticker that mine has (or had on the OEM valve cover)
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

It shouldn't hurt a 351w to spin higher than 4400. I've never heard of 351w rods that couldn't take such a low RPM.

Now, interesting question... When did Supra put 460s in these boats? If my 454 ever blows up I'd enjoy building a 545 stroker for it. I guess all that would be necessary is a bellhousing, coupler, and mounts... Mounts being the tricky part I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    It shouldn't hurt a 351w to spin higher than 4400. I've never heard of 351w rods that couldn't take such a low RPM.

Now, interesting question... When did Supra put 460s in these boats? If my 454 ever blows up I'd enjoy building a 545 stroker for it. I guess all that would be necessary is a bellhousing, coupler, and mounts... Mounts being the tricky part I guess.
    I think the decal you're reading that refers to the 460 is actually a PCM decal, not a Supra decal. I'd bet PCM built 460's for some kind of commercial utility boats like inboard fishing or crabbing boats? But not for Supra.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I've heard of 440's in early Supra's, but never a BBF. I ran a 460 in an old jet - pretty common & lots of marine parts available. You could probably make something work if you really wanted to...
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

This should answer a lot of questions I frequently see on here about servicing.
    Original sticker. Original engine...no mods......1:1 tranny.
    Mine goes above max engine speed at 4500 rpm.

Holy moly. I saved that photo. its got a wealth of info all in one easy place. thanks!