Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine R&R

OK..next question. Engine is about all together, will probably drop it in FRiday night. How do I set the timing? i put a red mark on both the distributor and manifold so that I can see I am close (with engine at TDC, not that it would matter), but don't I need to ground a wire or something? 2002 Supra SS, 320 Indmar Assault. I do have a timing light.....
    Jamie Warwick
    Rowlett Texas
    2002 Supra Launch 22

Im borrowing this from the malibu forum I did it and it worked for me it should be similar for you

The most difficult part for me was getting the timing done correctly. I found all sorts of varying information online and in the Clymer manual. However, here's what ended up working on this boat:
    --Bring the engine to top dead center on the compression stroke on cylinder #1 (front left)
    --Install the distributor so that the rotor is pointing at the spark plug wire that goes to cylinder #1. Tighten it so that it won't swivel on its own, but you can still turn it to set timing.
    --Use a bent paperclip to jump 2 wires on the diagnostic link connector (DLC). On my engine, look under the cover that is over the electronic mess. The DLC is the large-ish connector that appears to plug into nothing, but has a protective cap over it. Jump the black wire and the black w/white stripe wire. This places the engine in service mode to allow you to set the timing without the computer taking over.
    --Use a timing light connected to cylinder #1.
    --Connect the water inlet hose to a water source before starting - NEVER run the engine dry.
    --Start the engine (fingers crossed)
    --With the engine running and the jumper in place, get the engine to fast idle (1200 RPM) and set the timing to 10 degrees before top dead center (BTDC) by rotating the distributor and checking the timiing with the light. I found other sources that say 8 degrees BTDC, so you may choose to go that route. Once you have the engine running consistently and well at this setting, return the idle to normal and remove the jumper. You will know that you are doing it correctly if the engine then takes over and adjusts the idle and timing for you after that.
    --Tighten down the distributor the rest of the way.
    --GET YOUR BOAT TO THE LAKE!!!

Thanks SSA...just what I needed. I don't have a fake a lake, but I live 2 miles from a launch ramp...thats usually where I do my running adjustments...hopefully, by putting the red mark on the distributor and manifold it will be dead on when I do it. I know the timing was there when I parked it for the year...
    Jamie Warwick
    Rowlett Texas
    2002 Supra Launch 22

Let's see some pics of this new upholstery!

Ive got it all taped off right now....as soon as I drop the engine in I will post pics.
    Jamie Warwick
    Rowlett Texas
    2002 Supra Launch 22

I would be careful with the red marks it always trows me off read this It should help get the distributor just right http://www.classiccarauto.com/impala...tributor.shtml

woo hoo! dropped it in the water tonight....started first crank, runs purrrrrfect. timing was perfect, valve lash was perfect. i had MAYBE 2 cylinders 1/4 turn too loose. a friend let me borrow clips and valve covers (cut open on top), didnt spill a drop of oil.
    First thing that scared me was a mechanical vibrating sound...took me a second or 2 to realize it was the TBI injectors. Working as designed, just louder with the flame arrestor and doghouse off. few drips of water from the elbows on the front of both exhaust manifolds, no biggie...fixin to go back out and put a little dope on them. Thanks again to all that gave me the suggestions and help. As soon as I get the greasy handprints off the new upholstery, i'll post some picks. Speaking of which, if you are in the DFW area, L&N upholstery in Fort Worth did my interior. get ready for the price. They did the doghouse, rear storage cover, back seat, seat on the ice chest and the cushions on the walk through to the front......perfect job, can't tell the difference from the new factory upholstery....$500.00 out the door (yes 5 hundred). this was after 2 $2000+ quotes. Highly recommend them.
    Jamie Warwick
    Rowlett Texas
    2002 Supra Launch 22

Hey welcome back from the 'stan. Happened to buy my Sunsport when I was over there myself over the internet!

Best of luck with the refit.

Welcome back to you as well Graeme. Where were you? Wilson and Senjeray here, panjwai-Zhari district South of Kandahar.
    Jamie Warwick
    Rowlett Texas
    2002 Supra Launch 22

thats me center front (with the Anchor on the cover)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jamie Warwick
    Rowlett Texas
    2002 Supra Launch 22