Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default The Saltare project

Well, I finally got myself a Saltare. But it's going to be handful getting it to the level I prefer. This boat was a family friends since they bought it new. I'll be the second owner. I've ridden behind this boat when I was younger, and have great memories of enjoying. So not only was it what I was looking for, but it's got some great heritage too. It also only has just under 300hours.

It's been in a barn for years. They say they ran it last year, but couldn't start it due to the ignition was missing, and I mean missing. No key slot anywhere, and I wasn't about to hot wire it. But these are very good friends of mine, if they say they ran it last year, I believe them.

The good:
    It's a big black Saltare.
    Floors are 90% solid. I won't say 100% because that's a new stout floor, but goog enough for this summer.

The Bad:
    Interior is rough as hell.
    Carpet is nasty as hell.
    Engine looks like it's been through hell.
    It's been painted, and the paint job was done by blind one armed epileptic.......from hell.
    Half of everything works like hell.
    Trailer is original, but looks like it drove through hell.

I'll be posting progress pics as I go along, and problems as I hit them. Right now I'm dealing with a dead starter.

More

More

final set

Oddly enough...I started a blog called the saltare project in order to document my build.

If that's the kind of boats they have in hell - sign me up (mine was from the graveyard). Doesn't look too bad really & some good clean up could go a long way. Notice some subtle differences from my 89 - what year? 90? 91?

From the pics & descriptions - sounds like you can be on the water in no time & then just make a list, prioritize, & start bringing her back the way you want.

Congrats, again!
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    Oddly enough...I started a blog called the saltare project in order to document my build.
    Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by sybrmike View Post
    If that's the kind of boats they have in hell - sign me up (mine was from the graveyard). Doesn't look too bad really & some good clean up could go a long way. Notice some subtle differences from my 89 - what year? 90? 91?

From the pics & descriptions - sounds like you can be on the water in no time & then just make a list, prioritize, & start bringing her back the way you want.

Congrats, again!
    Yeah, I'm spoiled. It took me 5 years to get the Mariah in meticulate shape. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient. It's a 1990 model. What do you see that's different?

The engine is going to be a big hurdle. It's heavily corroded. While the internals might be fine with low hours, most of the electrical system is shot.

The pictures do make it look better than in person though. Instead of white, the whole hull is yellow. I was using 600 grit to get it white again. I'll be wetsanding again tonight to hopefully finish it out for polish. Then using 3M Heavy duty rubbing compound, followed by 3M light rubbing compound, then Collinite wax.
    Last edited by haugy; 06-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Looks like the same color combo, but my white's not white - more of a bone/light gray.

Differences - no transom lift ring, plastic storage boxes in the walk through with forward hinged doors (mine are teak with bottom hinged plex doors), molded-in ice chest (one piece removable), fiberglass platform (teak), hour meter next to radio (in dash), & a few subtle differences in the top cap mold.

Corroded engine? Just keep the doghouse closed (until you can blast/sand/paint). I'm finding electrical is not that bad, intimidating at first, but learning as I go along. Now mostly just tedious.

So you've got a ND tower on order - swoop again?
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by sybrmike View Post
    Looks like the same color combo, but my white's not white - more of a bone/light gray.

Differences - no transom lift ring, plastic storage boxes in the walk through with forward hinged doors (mine are teak with bottom hinged plex doors), molded-in ice chest (one piece removable), fiberglass platform (teak), hour meter next to radio (in dash), & a few subtle differences in the top cap mold.

Corroded engine? Just keep the doghouse closed (until you can blast/sand/paint). I'm finding electrical is not that bad, intimidating at first, but learning as I go along. Now mostly just tedious.

So you've got a ND tower on order - swoop again?
    Mine is bone white (off white) as well. Just bright in the pics. But when I say it's yellow, I mean it's really yellow in some spots from sitting out in the sun.

The hour meter was actually in the dash, but they added a depth gauge, so the same yahoo who probably painted it, mounted the hour meter there. Good thinking. Because there's nothing more important to me, and needs to be in my line of sight than the hour meter. (sarcasm). Hopefully in the future that will be a good spot for a trim tab indicator.

As for the tower........

Am I the only one that uses this stuff?

http://www.doitbest.com/Wash_+waxes+..._campaign=BROI

You spray it on to the yellow. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. All the yellow and scum comes right off with a sponge or brush. I wear rubber gloves. No idea what kind of acid/magic it is, but it works really well. They also make an "environmentally friendly version." That one does not work.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.