Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anybody else not have rear tie downs ?

Why would anyboat company not put rear tie downs on the trailer or boat?

Im going to come up with something.. I believe its a law in pa to have them,,

Anyone else not have them?

Quote Originally Posted by dshaff24 View Post
    Why would anyboat company not put rear tie downs on the trailer or boat?

Im going to come up with something.. I believe its a law in pa to have them,,

Anyone else not have them?
    Never used them. Boat's never moved. I only trailer it a mile each way @ 25mph, though.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I do not use them at this point. My trailer has a place for them, but the boat has never budged, even at regular highway speeds. Probably a good idea and definately peace of mind to use them, but I have never had an issue.
    2008 Sunsport 22 V

I use the rear swim platform to tie down with!! Have you ever seen a boat rearend the car infront of it ??? Saw a Escalade once on the Hwy that rear ended a car. Poor guy, lost the front of the Cadi and the rear too!!! Looked funny with the nose of the boat half way into the rear hatch.

Worst of all his insurance guy must of loved writing up that clame. Driver rear ended by his own boat.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I always tie down my stern. ALWAYS.

To do what you want to do with straps is risky. The straps would have be pretty substantial, and there is no way to put them that wouldn't damage the swim platform with a hard stop. You can run a strap down from the lifting rings to the trailer, but they have to go behind the platform. One good bump, those things tighten and straighten out, and you've killed your platform.

I take one of my good, clean, boat lines. I have 5/8" lines. And I feed it through the loop and attach it to one side of the trailer right below the rear hatch area of the boat. I the run the line over the sides and rear hatch of the boat down to the other other side, and secure it to the trailer. This will keep the boat from bouncing around on bumps.

To keep the bow from doing a rear ender, I use a safey chain with a threaded chain link to the bow eye. This will keep the boat from flying forward, as well as backward should somthing happen.

I had to buy tie-down straps, but there are places to hook to on the trailer. Usually don't use the tie-downs because my trip consists of 1/4 in the neighborhood to the ramp and then back. Usually under 20 mph. If I leave the neighborhood I use the straps. (DAFF-use the rear lifting eyes as a tie-down point. Pad where the straps touch the hull.)

I'll always use them (along with a secure attachment at the bow) ever since seeing a jet boat go up & over the tow vehicle in a head-on - ended up in the cab of the oncoming truck.

I mounted the platform a little farther back on the new support brackets so now the straps fit straight between the transom d-rings and trailer with no contact to hull or platform.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

I have looked at buying them but haven't yet. I havent had any issues with the boat moving. It's kinda heavy.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Just like Haugy said, getting around my swim platform is a pain, but I always always always strap the back of my boat down...those pics ain't lying.....I wanna keep myself and everybody else on the road in one piece.....
    90 Conbrio