Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    Do you know what the dims of your backing plate are? Anyone know if it would be a bad idea to use an aluminum plate?
    Need to know this asap if possible...I'm 200kms from my boat and hoping to do the repair this weekend.

Glad to hear you're aligned, Maple. Yeah, 5200 can be a real mess. If you used the original formula, it takes several days to fully cure but you're probably good to go for the weekend. If you want to avoid the haircut - Acetone or MEK work pretty good for clean up even after a day or so. Probably dry the snot out of your hair, so have to heavily condition afterwards to keep your locks silky smooth . If you used the fast set 5200, definitely set for the weekend - but you may be sporting a new hair style...

Ptown - the strut backing plate on my 89 Salt is 10-1/4" fore/aft x 8-3/4" wide. Looks to be 1/2" ply. I guess aluminum plate could be used, but I'd go 1/4" minimum & be sure to bed it in real good paying extra attention to avoid hard edges. The resin/glass won't bond with the aluminum as good as wood, so I'd go with several layers of heavy cloth and epoxy resin on top to really encapsulate it. The aluminum plate will probably lower the clamp block a tad, but could be shimmed up if the steering linkage won't compensate (which it probably should).
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
    Tonight I got my first taste of 5200. Holy @#*% that stuff is something I hope to never work with again, under a boat on a trailer!
    I've got that damn 5200 all over the back of my head, guess I'll need a hair cut!
    LOL Those were almost the exact words my buddy said when he did it. Makes one heck of a mess......should have warned ya
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

P- My backing plate is the same size as Mike's, I used 1" marine ply, it's freaking beefy!
    I've got a couple more pieces of marine ply at the shop if you want'em......( bottom of Blk Creek at St. Clair)
    And Mike, I took the Acetone bath last night, I don't think that stuff is very healthy....Used the fast cure, it runs worse than oil paint
    Tonight will be fine engine alignment and 2nd amp install, Really crossing my fingers there's no new vibrations when I get her on the water....
    90 Conbrio

That'd be great...but it has to be tomorrow (thursday) night.
    Last edited by Ptownkid; 06-23-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    That'd be great...but it has to be tomorrow (thursday) night.
    No prob, I'll pick'em up and bring'em home (straight down jane street instead to st. Clair). Call me tomorrow.
    In a thunderstorm under the cover we rough wired in another amp to the cabin speakers and hooked up my new sub....It sounds great!
    Managed to get the drive shaft to within .003 alignment and bolted everything up. I need to move the back of the motor sideways to tighten that tolerance , so I loosened the nuts on the motor mounts for sideways adjustment, but couldn't get it to budge. Anybody got any tricks?
    Tomorrow night is prop install and a deep cleaning, I mean deep! This is amazing, weather pending I'll be on the water fri!!!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Word, I'll call late this aft.

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
    I need to move the back of the motor sideways to tighten that tolerance , so I loosened the nuts on the motor mounts for sideways adjustment, but couldn't get it to budge. Anybody got any tricks?
    Something with leverage like a good crowbar and using some type of penetrating oil like PB Blaster. I had issues with mine too...they were pretty much "stuck" until I really convinced them to move.

A big pry bar right where the trunion meets the block is working for me.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____