Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You might check out US Composites also. Not sure if there are issues with them shipping to Canada, but their prices were the best I found.

So it looks like the factory strut backing plate had only 1 layer of glass over it. Is this sufficient or would a couple be better? And if so then would the strut backing bracket being a little taller in the bilge cause any issue with regard to the steering cable being attached to it? I'm under impression that the steering cable is flexible and could stand to be a 1/4" or so higher....
    Going in this eve to grind out the bilge and clean, tomorrow I hope to be glassing the new one in.....
    Pic's to follow......
    90 Conbrio

Let me know if you actually get this done this weekend...if not, I am home next weekend and would love to come see/help/meet you.

Will do, it's looking more and more like I'll have all the prep done, but possibly not the glass work (I've got to be realistic). I also smucked my coupler good enough yesterday that it'll finally be getting replaced, picked up a new one today and that job'll take precedence tonight. It had some damage from the PO and I've put the final nail in that coffin... I also haven't got my drive line stuff abck yet to reglass the shaft log in..... I'll keep you posted.....
    90 Conbrio

I'd go back with more than one layer for sure. As for the extra height - as long as it's not too excessive, the clamp block and sleeved hinge bracket on the tail of the shaft should handle accommodate it (1/4" with no problem).
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Ground everything down tonight, but forgot to take pics ( exhaustion I think) The PO or some giant tool obviously tried to repair a leaky shaft log before me by pouring a load of thickened epoxy in the bilge, what a PITA> Anyway I got all suited up SAFETY GLASSES and all and it went pretty well, I know this isn't the fun part of owning a boat, but I enjoyed it, knowing what the end result will be. More pics this week as I begin fiberglassing my evening's away.....
    90 Conbrio

I would agree with more than one layer. I would do at least two, maybe 3 depending on what type of cloth you are using.

Got the new strut backing plate bedded in tonight, I have to say now having work with the thicken epoxy that fillet stringers must be an animal of a job!
    Anyhow it went in without to much trouble and oozed out the sides a little which I then put a radius on>
    The shaft log on the other hand is diff. story. I thought a previous repair was a really heavy bed of epoxy. Turns out it's epoxy on a bed of automotive body filler ( these 2 layers are just about an 1"thick) So I'm positive now how it failed. Got too late to grind in front of my house so I snapped a couple shots and will hopefully finish grinding tomorrow. The shaft log as it sits now is quite high off the hull, I'm hoping to resolve that issue once the drive shaft comes back and I can check for alignment....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    90 Conbrio

a couple more....and one of my helper..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    90 Conbrio

Good work dude!