Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Great work - looks like a pro. Yeah, I found the factory used bondo to bed my stringers in & still had 6" gaps in places with no contact.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

What kind of grinding disk are you using?

maple...looking really good. I found some similar materials used on mine. You definitely want to do more work on your fillets. Do another pass and radius them a little more. The cloth will lay down so much smoother when you do that.

It is a lot of work on the stringers but well worth it when it comes time to lay the cloth. Try taking a piece of shim material from the home store or a large paint stir stick. Grind or sand it into a radius and use that as your tool to shape and smooth the wet thickened epoxy to the radius you want.

P 36 and 80 grit flapper's on my 4 1/2 grinder....they're awesome...
    Okie, I didn't take any pics, but heeded your advice and now have a fillet around that plate that would stop a bus, tomorrow I glass it in, in hopes that I can mount the strut once and align the shaft with the shaft log this weekend ( hoping I can tie the glass in from the backing plate to the shaft log)
    90 Conbrio

Hmmmm, that sounds like a good idea...I was just going to use a thin masonry disk, but flapper seems safer.

2nd on the heavy grit flapper discs - messy as hell, but make quick work of grinding out old glass.

Maple, good luck this weekend.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

I just used the thin resin sanding disks and they worked good too. I tried the flappers and they seemed to work fine, also, but seemed like they wore out almost as fast as the cheapy flat ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    I just used the thin resin sanding disks and they worked good too. I tried the flappers and they seemed to work fine, also, but seemed like they wore out almost as fast as the cheapy flat ones.
    No kidding, 8 bucks a pop up here at the box store.....
    90 Conbrio

Do you know what the dims of your backing plate are? Anyone know if it would be a bad idea to use an aluminum plate?
    Last edited by Ptownkid; 06-21-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Tonight I got my first taste of 5200. Holy @#*% that stuff is something I hope to never work with again, under a boat on a trailer!
    After a second attempt my strut is def at the right angle (small engine alignment tomorrow) I really understand how you guys who have rebuilt feel, having reglassed and installed my repaired driveline the excitement to hit the water is building.. I should be able to tie up the packing nut, alignment and stereo by friday aft, when we should be on a small bay on Lake Huron. Its late, I'm tired hope this message makes a little sense, I've got that damn 5200 all over the back of my head, guess I'll need a hair cut!
    90 Conbrio