Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wetsanding Too Much?

Hey guys, I'm considering wetsanding my baby but I'm concerned that there might not be anything left on it to wetsand? Is that possible? Or am I just being paranoid, I don't have much experience with wetsanding and gelcoats and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    Hey guys, I'm considering wetsanding my baby but I'm concerned that there might not be anything left on it to wetsand? Is that possible? Or am I just being paranoid, I don't have much experience with wetsanding and gelcoats and whatnot.
    I was nervous about wetsanding until I did it this year. Gel coat is thick and 600 grit does not take off very much. I don't think there's anything to be worried about and I wish I would have done it 8 years ago. I think if I did it again I'd use a machine for the first couple of steps instead of blocking it by hand. Probably took me 50 hours total -- so know what you are getting into!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Wotan, did you do a three step process with it, moving up in grit or whatever? Or did you only use the 600? What kind of machine would you use? I don't think you're talking about a belt sander, are you talking one of the vibrating sanders?

I started with 600, then 1000, 1500 and 2000. Then rubbing compound. Then polishing compound. Then wax. My shoulders hurt just thinking about it. If I did it again I'd either start with 400 or use hook and loop pads on my polisher. I ended up using both 8" foam pads and 3" foam pads for the compounding/polishing. I've got just a cheapo harbor freight polisher that worked great.

I think a vibrating palm sander would also work just fine for the wet sanding part.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

thanks for the insight

anybody else use a palm sander for wetsanding?

Would probably be wise to use air tools around water, or just do it by hand. It will make a man of you!

The gelcoat is generally the thickness of a credit card. I first used a de-oxidizing agent (3M sharpshooter no rinse cleaner), then straight to dry sanding with 3M 1200 grit using a pneumatic dual action sander. I then buffed.

I can tell you that the palm sander doesn't work well (nevermind the electrical issue). It will leave chatter marks in the gelcoat that will have to be sanded out by hand.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I typically tell people to avoid using power tools when wetsanding. The potential to get in at too steep an angle and "cut" deeper in one spot versus another is too great. And like Titan said, they can skip and chatter on ya creating divots.

Take pride in your work and do it slow and smooth. Learn the curves of the boat, feel the pressure against the grain and learn where it needs more or less sanding by the glide of the block. It's essentially molding a boat by hand. You are taking a dull layer off to expose a hidden beauty underneath. Do it right, do it slow, and be damn proud of it when it's done.

As beautiful as that was Haugy, that's kind of what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned that over the boat's life the layers of beauty have been pealed back and now if I were to try to peel another back, I wouldn't be left with any beauty. Anybody have that bad experience?