Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Comp rear seat

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    I had new sheets of exterior grade plywood in my shop, so I just used it for the seat. I figured the original lasted on the order of 20 years, exterior grade would be an improvement, so therefore an investment in marine grade wasn't really justified. I also happened to have an open can of oil based stain, so I coated the wood with two coats. My wood had a smooth and a rough side, so the stain was fast and easy, as it required no preparation.

The seat as originally designed, is a one peice "couch" that just rests in the boat snugly. It is not fastened in place. This is an undocumented feature of the boat, in that you can take it out and leave it on the beach to provide beach seating, and make more room in the boat.
    I wanted to add that I built the seat from the bottom up, meaning that I left the sides and back a little long, and placed the seat frame into the boat after assembly to scribe the wood with a marker at the top of the cap, and then trimmed the line with a skill saw to ensure a perfect fit. This revealed that my boat is not symetrical, the dimension from top of the cap to floor is greater on the left side than the right by about an inch. Beware!
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Here is the new bench all assembled. I got the boat back today so I was able to fit it and and it is right on. I am now going to seal it with some oil based paint that I got from my buddies paint shop. I spent the better part of today tackling the doghouse and that is going to be a thorn in my side.
    After reading everyones posts,,,, WHY would ANYONE go through all that trouble of rebuilding the upholstery,,,WITH UNTREATED PINE!!????? Is everyone nuts???

WHY? to save $10 per sheet of ply??? PLEASE EXPLAIN , maybe so it can be redone every 5 years instead of 15????

Quote Originally Posted by darflinger View Post
    After reading everyones posts,,,, WHY would ANYONE go through all that trouble of rebuilding the upholstery,,,WITH UNTREATED PINE!!????? Is everyone nuts???

WHY? to save $10 per sheet of ply??? PLEASE EXPLAIN , maybe so it can be redone every 5 years instead of 15????
    I used treated pine for everything that I could get it for. Unfortunately for my locale, treated plywood has to be special ordered and trucked in. The parts of my rebuild that were not constructed with treated lumber, I sealed up with a few good coats of good oil based paint and allowed them to cure before I shipped it out.

I am not one to skimp on aything as I subscribe to the idea that if it is worth doing, it is worth over doing. I'm guessing though that I will not be rehabbing the parts of my interior that I just did until I hit my mid-life crisis in about another 15-20 years though.
    Last edited by Jetlink; 07-24-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

hey, so those of you repairing the doghouse, are you attaching the bottom part permanently to the deck? Semi-permanently? At one point, mine was bolted down by what appears to have been a prior owner, but his system more or less fell apart. Now it's not secured, which is great when I want to take it all the way off, but sucks because if people lean on it too hard, it rubs against the belts. I'm trying to figure out what the best resolution is, that lest me take it all the way off easily, but keeps it from hitting the belts.

You need to move yours foreward another inch or 2. I also had to make indentions where the water pump pully was going to touch. My friends 92' was held down by those jeep like rubber ball strechy things. I wanted something better so I bought some SS quick release hinges so I could pull my d-house off when needed. they were a little pricy but nice and wont rust under all of that moisture. Jet
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Hey Matt K, mine just rests in there now and I have plenty of clearance on the front end pulleys with the new construction I did. I think I might have a picture or two in my "rebuild" album under my profile. If not, or you want more details/pics, let me know and I will see what I can do to help.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

The previous owner built a new lower dog house support for my boat out of Teak. It is hinged at the aft end to the floor, and the dog house is hinged at the aft end to the teak support. You can hinge open the dog house only, or you can hinge open the whole dog house and lower support assembly togather. The lower hinges (attaching support to floor) can be quickly slid apart, allowing removal of the whole assembly without tools. It's a pretty cool set up, and the Teak looks very nice.

The picture below doesn't show much detail, I could supply aditional pics if anyone is interested.

Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

i'd like to see that, rick.

my doghouse pulled loose from the base last weekend, grrrr.