Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trailer coupling...

After planning a weekend of fiberglass work I went to pick up the boat and smacked the coupling with the ball hard enough to warrant it's replacement, that and it was 20 yrs old and tired....So once the kids were in bed a friend and I headed over to my woodshop tonight to replace it. I bought a 2" ball 3500lb replacement coupling and grade 5 plated bolts planning on having it welded on, but the boat has to move by monday am, so for now I'm sure the bolts will do, if you disagree please let me know, any advice here would be great. Here are a few shots of the project< Next time I'm wearing pants......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mapleleaf; 06-12-2011 at 02:09 AM.
    90 Conbrio

My old coupling was held on by bolts, and so is the new one. You will be fine.

I think you'll be fine with just bolts, too. No brakes on your trailer??
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

It was designed for bolts, they'll work just fine. Mine is bolted on, I've had no issues. It will be easier to change next time than if it is welded.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Pants & SAFETY GLASSES. I also cut off the welded & went back with bolted.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by sybrmike View Post
    Pants & SAFETY GLASSES. I also cut off the welded & went back with bolted.
    I see you paid attention to the photo's!!!! I totally agree, dragged her home tonight about 3 miles without any issues. Seems to be a new clanging sound coming from the trailer and seating the coupler on the ball for the first time took a little finessing (had me worried as my landlord doesn't like long term parking of rec. vehicles at my shop..)
    90 Conbrio

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I think you'll be fine with just bolts, too. No brakes on your trailer??
    No brakes, came that way and the trailer used to be color matched to the boat so I know it was original. Its always kinda bugged me, but my truck has never really struggled woeing her up so I've left it alone...That and I leave lots of room!!!
    90 Conbrio

I suppose the trailer + weight of a conbrio is probably around 3000lbs? The brakes on my trailer have never worked either. It's not an issue pulling only a couple of miles round-trip to the launch, but it has been on my to-do list for 6+ years now. Hopefully this summer there will be an opportunity to drop the boat in for a weekend and rehab the trailer.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

My trailer's brakes did not work when I aquired it. Rather than overhaul the original drum system, I threw them out for an aftermarket disc system. It was much easier in the long run than trying to find the right brake shoes, springs, clips etc. The discs work well, bolted right on with no trouble.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    My trailer's brakes did not work when I aquired it. Rather than overhaul the original drum system, I threw them out for an aftermarket disc system. It was much easier in the long run than trying to find the right brake shoes, springs, clips etc. The discs work well, bolted right on with no trouble.
    Any chance you've got an Eagle trailer? I had always thought disc's would be a good upgrade....
    90 Conbrio