Default '97 Pirata for sale again

http://wausau.craigslist.org/boa/2428127332.html

What is wrong with this boat that no one has bought it yet?

23', closed bow and a small engine is what turns me off.

Yep, that about sums it up. If it was a composite stringer big block open bow for $12k there would be a lot more interest in it. The only thing that boat has going for it is composite stringers but the guys who are into closed bows (slalom and barefoot guys) will want small closed bow boats. Barefoot guys won't be able to get the speed they want from a 23' small block. People wanting a general pupose family boat to use for watersports won't care about the small engine but won't like the closed bow. It's just a hard to sell boat.

Closed bow does it for me. Those 351's with the Gt-40 heads aren't total slow pokes, but seeing as how I haven't even driven my Saltare with a 454 I'm not sure how much a difference it would make.

I'd have bought it if it was open bow. That thing is nice.

closed bow just kills it. especially when there are some many nice boats in that price range with open bow and even fuel injection.

Nice clean boat with low hours. If you come down on your price a little you will start to see some interest.

Thanks for the input its not mine. I am actually interested in it. It would make for a good allaround boat for river cruising and watersports, best part it keeps the kids out of the sun with the cuddy or for river camping. The 351 with gt 40 heads is real comparable to a 454 in horses too just not the torque.

It takes more than some mediocre as cast heads to get near 1 HP per cube on 351 and as you get near there you lose torque and drivability, and run into issues with reversion on stock manifolds and risers.

As for torque... There's only so much you can do without more displacement. The way to get torque out of a small engine is gearing... Either a gear reduction trans or a lower pitch prop. Of course you lose top end speed with these though.

Not trying to get into a pissing match. But that boat with a 351 w Gt-40 heads will still get up and move. Will it race out of the hole while towing 3 people? No. Is it a good engine if you plan on sacking out the boat? No.

But if you want to pull your kids on a board, or tube, or slalom, that engine will be enough.