Default Transmission woes

My boat stopped going in reverse this weekend. Just revs like it's in neutral. It goes forward just fine though. Linkage is definantly moving and engaging. 1986 Sunsport with Velvet drive 1:1. Any ideas?

I suppose this should be in Service. Sorry about that.

When was the last time you changed the fluid? That will definitely affect your ability to go in and out of gear easily.

And will the lever go back, and no reverse? Or the lever can't even go back?

If you shut the motor off, will it go into reverse?

Does the shaft spin at all in reverse? Any attempt to turn things (slipping)? If yes, you may have some burnt clutch plates and need a rebuild. If the linkage is moving to engage reverse but you get no power in reverse, no shaft spinning at all, etc. you may have a valve body issue. Could be a plugged passage in the valve body or something dislodged or worn. I'm not familiar enough with Velvet Drives to say for sure. Either way, I think you'll be pulling it out to figure it out and at that point you may as well freshen it up.

The linkage is moving and clicking into place, but the shaft won't spin. Well...I suppose it does spin, but it has always had just a slight amount of spin (maybe 10 revolutions per minute) even when in neutral. It spin a bit more if I gassed it in neutral.

Right now, it just acts exactly it would if I had the neutral knob pulled out. You can rev it, and the motor starts to wind up like normal. The linkage pushes the transmission lever in place, but the transmission won't turn the prop shaft.

Looks like I'm pulling the transmission out in this 100* heat. Fun!

Last time I changed the fluid was a year ago. Used ATF with Dexron to refill.

You need to borrow my lift?? : )

sorry man, let me know if you need help.
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Not any time soon, Jet. I leave for NYC/DC in less than a week. Solid Motor Sports is picking it up to tie up some loose ends on it while I'm gone. I might have him take a look at it at that time. I'll need the lift back for another two to three weeks, at earliest. You got plenty of time.

I could ahve used your lift yesterday! LOL. pulled the engine out of my 2002, swapping everything over this week, dropping the new one in Friday after work. Had to pull it to Fort Worth to pull it....
    Jamie Warwick
    Rowlett Texas
    2002 Supra Launch 22

If Jet and I aren't using it, you're welcome to it, Jamie. My engine crane is starting to get passed around more than a drunk prom date....