Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Fantasy Diesel v drive Saltere or Pirata build

So this has been in my head for quite a while and I wanted to start a thread that we can throw around ideas about building a diesel boat. Please feel free to chime in as this is something new to me and I have limited knowledge about diesel engines. Any diesel techs on this forum?

This is what I am thinking as far as a start point on the fantasy build

Saltere or Pirata I am also looking for a totally wrecked pirata for less than 1k

1:1 walter v drive

I have no clue on a trany please chime in

Engine Im thinking something out of a wrecked truck I have been thinking that v8 chevy or 6cyl isuzu would be the best. I think fords are a bit on the heavy side and the cumins out of the dodge would be hard to mate with the trany. What do you guys think?

The idea for this is to cost less than 10k total and to run all day at 25mph or less with 1k of ballast on lets say less than 10 gal of fuel do you think its possible?

It's a cool idea but it's going to be hard to find things like exhaust risers and a transmission adapter.

I am somewhat surprised that we haven't seen anyone do a v-drive conversion of one of the old boats. I don't think it would be all that much more work than the hull-up rebuilds that so many of us have done.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Interesting concept...I'd like to see if it is feasible.

wotan, go check out www.correctcraftfan.com There's a guy from S. OK that did an old ski nautique (2001 style hull) as a v-drive. Pretty slick, but a lot of work.

On the master craft forum there is a diesel build, he documented the entire thing.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Okie, could you post a link to the thread? I'm having troubles finding it

I've found pictures of the finished product but I can't find the build pics, oh well good enough I suppose. That thing is pretty sweet, a lot more roomy than I would have guessed in such a narrow, small boat. Imagine the possibilities in an old Rider with tons of freeboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    Interesting concept...I'd like to see if it is feasible.

wotan, go check out www.correctcraftfan.com There's a guy from S. OK that did an old ski nautique (2001 style hull) as a v-drive. Pretty slick, but a lot of work.
    I've seen that. Do you think it's that much more work than the rebuilds that we've seen on here? I guess the only difference really is that you'd need to re-engineer the engine placement and mounts, where with our rebuilds we just re-use the existing measurements.

Other than that.... As long as you are redoing your stringers, interior and upholstery, anyway -- why not convert to a v-drive!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Here ya go, check this link, it;s the mastercraft build I mentioned

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ghlight=diesel
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

wotan, he also had to relocate his gas tank and a few other minor things IIRC. Also, I think he moved the axle on his trailer and had to put quite a bit of thought into weight placement during the build.

chris, here ya go...

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum...htv-drive-span

Interesting build I like what that guys did with the diesel engine but after reading all of the posts I don't think he understands the concept of wakeboarding all that well yet.

What I am thinking is a much bigger boat it has to be able to hold 10 people on top of that I want weight and I think I want 3k lbs not just 1k and I want to be able to go 25 mph all day long on 25 gal of fuel. I think a low hp extremely high torque motor would be best for that.

Any diesel techs want to chime in?

I also think going Chevy diesel will eliminate the problem with the adapter plates to the trany they should be the same as the 454's velvet drives