Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I read the statement below on another Forum and thought i would share it I have not found where Diesel power qouted this but if it is true I thing a big block gas to a duramax would be the way to go.

Next thing to check would be how to keep the motor at low rpm for fuel consumption.

as quoted from diesel power

"For decades, every Chevy V-8 (with the possible exception of the Indycar engine program) has shared the same six-bolt transmission-to-engine bellhousing-pattern designed for the original 265ci small-block Chevy engine back in 1955.

The upside to this commonality has meant that all Chevy V-8 engines; small blocks, big blocks, 90-degree 4.3L V-6 engines, 6.2L and 6.5L diesels, LT-1, LS1, 8.1L, and even the 6.6L Duramax will all bolt up to the same transmissions. This has helped make Chevy engines the most popular engine to swap into other vehicles."

What about in a smaller sunsport with the stock small block motor? What V-drive would one use?

Duramax would be a good candidate but a marine version IMO would be very expensive. Sure the engine would bolt up EZ to the trans but these engines are all computerised making a simple swap a wiring nightmare. For this reason a fully mechanicial diesel would be the way to go. But the GM 6.5 (93 was all mechanicial injector pump) is a very ho hum dieasel with performance and work in mind. This leaves the 5.9 Cummins ir the I4 marine version too as a good power plant.

Advance adapters makes a conversion for a GM trans to a 5.9Cummins engine, so all in all this project would be very straight forward but for the coin to perform it.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

GM automatics have the same bolt pattern as a Velvet Drive?

Default Cummings 4bt

Check out the Cummings 4bt! Its basically a 5.9 with the back two cylinders chopped off. 4btswaps.com! These guys love putting diesels in anything. I'm sure if someone started a companion thread they would jump right in on this topic.

Just a heads up, i will be dropping a 5.9 cummins from a dodge ram into a sunsport or a beast starting this fall, i am a marine engineer in the Canadian navy so i have a pretty solid understanding of how this stuff works, i will be using a p7100 pump cummins form a 1995 ram,with a upgraded 3200rpm gov spring (2600rpm stock) and maybe water/meth injection(depending on amount of smoke under load) will be using a custom air to water intercooler and a 1:1 72c velvet drive (same as the big block boats) as it is more stout than the 71c and should be able to handle the roughly 700ft lbs of torque, for a propeller i will be using a 14x20 acme as this should yield similar performance to the stock engine and prop. wakeboarding speed will be at 1800 rpm which is in the 6bt's sweet spot for torque and fuel economy. exhaust will be accomplished by bringing the down pipe from the turbo and splitting off to the two exhaust pipes with mixing pipes integrated into the y, unlike many marine diesels though i will be using a hot manifold and hot turbo, so they will be heat painted and kevlar wraped to prevent fire, the engine doghouse will be adequately forced ventilated at all times to also prevent fire. i will be using a full guage set including egt's, head temp, and turbo boost to keep eyes on all necesary information. as for how to bolt the trans to the engine? just get a sae#3 setup of flywheel, flywheel housing and starter, then a sae#3 to velvet drive adaptor to finish it off, still trying to find a damper plate that is cheaper than the 659$ vulkan torklfex but im sure there is one avail somewhere. the best thing is the fuel economy, at 100% load the cummins can only flow 44l/hour at 2000rpm, vs a 351 fords 150l/hour at top speed. Only reason the project hasn't started yet is because im leaving to go sailing for the summer on the coast. I will be making good copy;s of all my engineering diagrams i have created if anybody wants to take a look and maybe offer some added input, and if anybody does own a 86 sunsport i need some measurements.... height from hull to prop shaft coupling, width between two engine mount stringers and length of engine hole / length of prop coupling to front of engine housing.

So where is home??

The Cummins powered P pumps suck...... Only got 700 000km on mine !!!

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Ottawa, i see your from windsor... and 700km's... nothin to be ashamed of lol, better than a 6.0 power joke. or just about any of the v8 diesels.

Please make this happen & keep us updated. I love engine swaps...
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Sold my old boat today to free up some capital to use on the project, already looking at boats but probably not going to jump on anything till i get back in September... stay tuned for a build thread once it gets started, my goal is to document it and make it simple enough for any motor head to do.