Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 86 Comp EFI Install

OK guys. It’s time to face the critic’s. This is what I’ve be working on this winter. I found a 1986 HO Mustang to rob all of the EFI from. I started her up for the first time this weekend. Took her out for a shake down run today. I stopped & checked the plug color starting @ 2000,3000,3500,4000 & 4600 WOT all is good. I plan on checking the plugs some more next time out. It’s cold on the Columbia river this time of the year. I was going to post pictures but someone has changed something. And where did my picture album go?

Cool, How did you get the o2 to work. Details I would like some details.
    What fuel pump did you use. Did you put an oil pressure switch in to kill the fuel if the eng dies.

Is this a mass air flow or speed density system.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

I'm not going to use o2's. By not using them the computer will stay in open loop mode. The stock PCM EFI GT 40 run's this way. The computer will use it's internal A/F mapping program. If I find that the system is running rich I can install o2 simulators to cut the fuel back a little. From what I have found out the o2 are used just to fine tune A/F mixture leaning the mixture as need to get to 14.7 A/F mixture. I used a elect. pump from NAPA it run's up to about 90 lb the system bleeds any pressure over 37 lb back to the tank. I had not thought about a oil pump switch there wasn't one on the mustang. I wonder if installing a oil pressure switch would slow the start up.
    Can anyone tell me how to load Pic. from my computer. the pic size is only 86.0 kb.

It might get a little complicated but Gm uses a temperature switch to run the pump if the eng is cold then it will automatically switch to oil pressure switch once the eng is warm.

The only reason I ask is in the event of a fire it would be nice to kill the fuel.

The o2 does do the fine tune on the fuel map sort of. If it stays on the lean/rich limit for to long the ecm will make a course adjustment then read the o2 for fine adjustment within the parameters of that course setting.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

looks great, cant wait to find out how it performs for you
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Cool mod! I haven't seen a battery there, before.....
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Dare to be different... I hope it runs as sharp as it looks.

I second needing a method for the fuel pump shut off - 2 years ago we couldn't put out an engine fire on an open motor jet boat after two fire extinguishers and wet towels. That is, until somebody realized the key was still energized & fuel pump kept feeding the flames. Key off - fire out.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

What intake manifold did you use...was it from a 351 efi F-150?

Looks great, nice build. Interesting to hear about performance.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

That intake is off of a 86-93 Mustang 5.0 at least the upper is... The lower should be 351 specific. These are a dime a dozen... I will tell you that you don't want your AFR at 14.7 at WOT or under a big load. That is way lean. You will want your AFR at or under 14. My main hobby is racing Mustangs.
    1990 Comp TS6M
    Aerial Freeride Tower soon to come!