Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Accents

Default LED Accents

Okay so I know there's a thousand LED threads on here but I thought I'd start this to get some fresh opinions. I'm looking to add LED's as accent lights underneath the edges of seats, inside the cupholders, and inside storage compartments.

My question is, what do you guys recommend for the accent lights under the seat edges? I like the brand oznium (mostly because their site is easy to use) but I don't know whether to go with just single LED lights, or to get strips, and if I get strips I don't know what length to get.

Here's a link to oznium's marine LED page. Thanks guys

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-lighting

I used a ton of both over the winter and prefer the output of the flex strips. The nice part is you can find the length to match almost anything in the boat.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

That's kind of what I was thinking Dusty, now how long of a strip do you suggest? Say for example on a rear bench seat on an old DD like mine. Obviously I could run a strip the entire length of the seat underneath the lip but I don't need to. I was thinking just two 2.4 inchers spaced out and mounted underneath would be enough. Would those be too small to put out good light?

I wouldnt go smaller than the 3.7 or 4.x or whatever is closest. I have whichever it is under my sub in the driver helm.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Does anybody know what type of LED fits the OEM housing for the accent lights in 09's. I would assume all 09 models would be the same just the amount of lights would change. Basically i am just trying to change the Color of the preexisting accent light. If nobody knows i will pull one this weekend and post up.
    Last edited by RanceOU; 06-17-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Rance
    09 Launch 21 V

Dusty and I pulled ours completely out and just mounted a flex strip instead.

The floor lights, we pulled the factory light and inserted superflux.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Default LED ideas.

Chris,

I have used Oznium's SMD bar on my boat and it throws a TON of light! I have also used their LED module lights that work really well too. If you are looking at single LED lights then definately use the superflux 4 chip.

Here are some of my recomendations:

1. Use the SMD bar hidden under the interior lip of the boat, under seats, under the dash, and in compartments.
    2. Use the superflux chips to light your cupholders.
    3. Use the prewired surface mount LEDs on the backside of your stereo speaker grills (facing the speaker). Oznium used to have a device that would flash these lights to the beat of music, but I don't see it on their sight anymore.
    4. I got some acrylic cut to the size of my amplifiers. I cleaned the edges of the acrylic so that it was perfectly clear, and drilled holes in the back side of my amp rack. I then siliconed a couple of superflux 4 LED lights into holes drilled partially into the acrylic. When activated it would give an "edge light" to your amps. I also wired mine into the sound flashing unit.

Super flux 4 LED : http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux
    Surface mount LED: http://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led
    SMD Bar: http://www.oznium.com/smd-bar
    LED bar: http://www.oznium.com/super-bright-12v-led-module

Default Finished my project

Well I got the LED's all wired in just in time for the 4th, and I am so so impressed with the way they turned out. Everything is exactly how I imagined it and the entire install process went very smooth.

I ended up going all Oznium with a superflux in each cupholder and underneath the playpen, silicone strips underneath the rear bench seat, passenger seat, and driver's console, and I put two of the high intensity spotlights mounted on the transom under the waterline. I really wanted to avoid an obnoxious glow, since I do have an older boat after all, and I think the final result is absolutely perfect. Here's a few crappy pictures taken with my phone, enjoy!

Looks Really Good!

Where did you mount the LEDs in the cupholders? Did you put them in the side, or the bottom?

Which LED did you use for the underwater stern lights?

I mounted the superfluxes in the center of the bottom of the cupholders. They're designed with a little lip on them so I was able to drill a hole large enough for most of the LED to fit through but not all of it, so they sit down nice and flush. They're low enough that an aluminum can won't touch them but something like a water bottle will... they're really durable though, not worried about them at all.

On the transom, I mounted 2 Oznium High Intensity Spotlights about 3 inches below the water line. For what I was going for, they work great, I didn't want anything obnoxiuous, just a nice glow. I'm constantly on a river that has a one foot visibility range so I was real skeptical about how they were going to turn out, but I'm very pleased.