Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Accents

where di you run the wires for the transom lights ?

Do you mean how did I run them to the actual lights, or how I got them from the switch at the helm of the boat?

I used some fishtape to run the wires along the inside of the gunwale from the front of the boat to the back. Then, I'm not sure what kind of boat you have but on mine I had to remove the rear seat completely and then slide the gas tank forward so that I could get at the inside of the transom.

Does that help?

Here's some updated photos of my LED setup. I added adhesive strips along the underside of the vinyl trim piece on the inside of the gunwale. These lights are completely hidden during the day but at night they produce the best glow out of any of the LED's I put in. I also added some unique lights to the inside of the cooler to match the stripe on the outside of my boat, and I added some LED gauge lights.

DUDE that is so sick !!!! I have a 86 sunsport im in the middle of doing stringers and interior , but i took a look at yours and im deff doing that !!

What i meant about the wiring was din you drill through the transom ? and where did you mount the spotlights ? transom ? thanks for the pics they look sweet

and you gotta love those coolers man !

Thanks for the compliments, I love the way it all turned out.

Yes, I drilled through the transom to install the lights, just 3 small holes per light. 2 for the screws and 1 for the wires. The lights I bought didn't come with screws so I had to find some at the local ACE, I ended up going with tiny bolts, lock-washers, and nuts to hold the lights on, plus silicone adhesive on the bolts and behind the light to hold it in place. I've had them installed for well over a month of HARD use now and they're rock solid, don't leak at all. I don't have a picture of them installed in the daylight so I'll try and remember to take one and post it up here.

Here are the lights I chose, cheap, simple, and still have a nice glow to them: http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-spotlight

yeah ok , did you use 5200 ? and you say washers ? did you thru bolt them ?

I was looking at those all last night on what im buying lol freaking kid in a candy store i swear ... they are pretty dang reasonable too so did you mount a controller or anything , or just on off switch ? what did you say the side strips were again ! thanks !

No I used some silicone sealant.. maybe RTV or something like that? I'm not real sure but it has worked well so far. I've read in certain places that people DON'T recommend 5200 because it becomes too permanent, and so they say to use 4200 instead.

Yes, they're thru-bolted to the transom, real tiny holes though. I'll try and take pictures, those lights are smaller than you think.. 2 inches in diameter at the most.

The strips I installed underneath that vinyl trim piece I got on eBay, real good price. They have adhesive backing but I had to use that and some glue to keep them from falling down because I was mounting them straight to vinyl. Here's a link to them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/60cm-...#ht_2360wt_941

Also, that same seller has a CRAZY deal going on right now where he's selling 10 nine inch long silicone strips for $18.49. Here's a link to them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10X24...#ht_2362wt_941

Man you are a life saver ! those are great prices !! im ordering some today !

Thanks for all the help , and keep checking my threads and when i get done with my project ill show you what i get !

Hey Lively, here are some pictures of the lights I mounted on the transom. I'm sorry about the crappy quality, between a cast on my foot and laying down on the platform over the water with my iPhone I couldn't get a great picture. I'm also including a picture of the boat sitting in the driveway just staring straight at the lights, from about 20 ft. back. For $19 a piece, I'm pretty pleased with them : ) Also, I know that siliconing the wires through their hole like this doesn't look very professional but my boat's never on a trailer during the year and it got the job done, no leaks since the install.

ALSO, the mud and grime you can see on my transom is just a preview of the before-full-detail picture I'll be uploading to my Pride & Joy thread, going to be a fun week of scrubbing the hull!

man that looks sweet ! thanks for the pics !! I can believe the prices ! i think im going to get 4 of those on my transom and mount a terminal block in the inside of my transom , but i have to replace the rear stringers first .. go check out my thread and watch her come to life .... it is under ....1986 SUPRA SUNSPORT (PCM) 351 , How to rebuild velvet drive 1:1, general problems... Thanks for all the help bud !